By anonymous - 10/11/2016 14:29 - United States - Lewistown

Today, I was subpoenaed on behalf of my mother-in-law. My husband said if I didn't defend her and consequently lie under oath, our marriage is over. She said, "I can get rid of two problems in one day!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 787
You deserved it 767

Same thing different taste

Top comments

dblogic 19

I'd be tempted to testify truthfully and let them throw her in the slammer...or slap with a huge fine...or whatever penalty she's up against. Your husband shouldn't be blackmailing you with your own marriage. WOW.

crazy_bananas 31

What the ****. Don't listen to your idiot of a husband. If you get caught lying then you face serious prison time and a hefty fine, as lying in court is a federal offense.

Comments

I'd be telling my husband that he can go ahead and sign the divorce papers while we're already in court. The marriage would be over for me as soon as those words left his mouth because he said exactly how he feels, his mother takes priority over you and you are quite dispensable to him.

Sounds like neither of themhave any respect for you at all. Maybe you'd be better off if you let your marriage end now instead of waiting until thenext threat.

That's a serious red flag for emotional abuse. He's putting his mother's freedom- when it sounds like she doesn't deserve it- ahead of the health of his relationship with his spouse. It will only go downhill from there, so I would suggest that OP starts preparing to abandon ship.

Sounds to me like YOU can get rid of two problems in one day!

Id say tell the truth and YOU get rid of two problems in one day

I would speak to judge assigned to the case, if at all possible. Tell them what your husband said and ask to be excused due to conflict of interest. Then go speak with a divorce attorney.

Sorry to say this OP but to me it sounds like your marriage is already over if your husband threated you with divorce

We need a follow-up here! I'd really like to know how OP sorted this out

If your mother-in-law legit did something wrong, then don't lie. It's her fault, not yours, and if your husband is going to be that immature over it then he does not sound worth it. I get he's upset with his mother possibly going to jail, but it's no reason for you to possibly end up there too. Also, that's on the abusive side of things to threaten you with your marriage like that. Lying for them is not worth it.

Tell the truth. You don't need people like that in your life! I would be filing for divorce even before testifying!