By homelesslyf - 30/12/2018 22:00 - Australia - Clayton

Today, I was kicked out of my aunt's house for being 15 minutes late for her to pick me up. She told me she doesn't want me to come home and left me in a panicked mess. My sister and brother are on her side and refuse to talk to me. I'm now couch surfing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 425
You deserved it 398

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A: "Really late"? Fifteen minutes?! That's a blink of an eye. In a big school, having to go back to one's locker for a forgotten item could take 15min. Needing a washroom might take 15 sometimes. Sorting out a bit of drama among friends could also make a few minutes vanish. An hour is "really late". Fifteen minutes is "a little late". B: Blaming OP because apparently you think it's predictable for a strict guardian to react this way, & preventable? Rendering a minor homeless over a small inconvenience is insane. Even if OP knew their aunt was insane, that still doesn't make it OP's fault. And depending what caused their lateness, even that may have not been their fault. Certainly, if this was the millionth incident of lateness, or was for a foolish reason (OP was just chatting with pals), or on a day where the schedule was especially tight, anger would be appropriate. I can't imagine a circumstance where homelessness & excommunication would be a just punishment though.

bottombitch97 6

It seems like there’s more to it than just you being late. If most of your family is against you, that says a lot about you as a person

Comments

You were really late for her to pick you up, if I read that correctly. If you’re still a minor it’s your fault. Some parents are strict like this. Unless it was something you couldn’t control. Always be ready a bit early for those types of angry people.

A: "Really late"? Fifteen minutes?! That's a blink of an eye. In a big school, having to go back to one's locker for a forgotten item could take 15min. Needing a washroom might take 15 sometimes. Sorting out a bit of drama among friends could also make a few minutes vanish. An hour is "really late". Fifteen minutes is "a little late". B: Blaming OP because apparently you think it's predictable for a strict guardian to react this way, & preventable? Rendering a minor homeless over a small inconvenience is insane. Even if OP knew their aunt was insane, that still doesn't make it OP's fault. And depending what caused their lateness, even that may have not been their fault. Certainly, if this was the millionth incident of lateness, or was for a foolish reason (OP was just chatting with pals), or on a day where the schedule was especially tight, anger would be appropriate. I can't imagine a circumstance where homelessness & excommunication would be a just punishment though.

KingAdrock 16

Except if they're still a minor and the aunt is their guardian, the aunt is breaking the law by throwing them out of the house. You can't toss a child in your care into the street with nowhere to go.

What the hell are you talking about? Being late might be OP’s fault, but not getting kicked out. That was a ridiculous and dangerous overreaction.

I see NONE of you have had strict parents or guardians. I WISH I could have been 15 minutes late and not had any extreme consequences. Welcome to the real world.

cptncuttlefish 24

Your abusive situation isn’t the real world. I’m sorry that happened to you but that’s not normal.

Mungolikecandy 19

If she was picking you up then how were you late for that as only she could be late to pick you up? There is more to this story than meets the eye.

Most likely he was supposed to be at a certain place to be picked up.

Mungolikecandy 19

It would make a bit more sense that way.

404wan 19

i think we definitely need some context, why did you need to stay with your aunt? did your parents kick you out? and i do think that being 15 minutes late while someone is going out of their way to pick you up is very rude. they made the effort to be on time and you clearly didn't. unless you had a good reason for being late, again, context.

15 minutes isn't a reason to kick someone out.

Suaria 38

Ya it is rude to be late for someone to pick you up, however kicking them out is an overreaction to someone being late.

Elisabetha Aarron 18

Even if they are constantly late doesn't make it ok to make them homeless

onceuponatime456 16

So how many times had she warned you about being late? Way too much missing from your post!

bottombitch97 6

It seems like there’s more to it than just you being late. If most of your family is against you, that says a lot about you as a person

You must have a perfect family with perfect relationships. Some families are toxic and terrible.

While I wouldn't bat an eye at someone I was meeting being 15min late (& thus I think she's a cruel control freak IF there was no other wrongdoing than this one brief lateness), the fact that everyone's siding with her (not speaking?! over a single incident of being slightly late!?) makes me suspect there actually was more wrongdoing. Maybe Aunt was going to an important event right after and had made OP promise they'd be on time, & them breaking that promise caused her to be late to a job interview, first date with her dream partner, or something else that really messed with her life. Or maybe this was the last straw after a million incidents of OP taking Aunt for granted & failing to treat her decently. But I know that controlling a-hole guardians not only exist, but are depressingly common (check out "raised by narcissists" subreddit), so I'm keeping an open mind that OP *might* be actually innocent.

ryand82 11

Sounds like the last straw kinda thing to me

Lauren Horstman 3

But yet she waited around for those 15 minutes just so she could tell you not to come home and leave. What?

The_candyman 13

if you had a way to let her know you would be late it's your own damn fault. just trying to make her look like the bad person here. take responsibility for your actions.

Sounds like being late is symptomatic if larger problems and maybe she’s just tired of your behavior. Are you an adult? If so, sounds like it was time to go.