By BrianP - 07/07/2009 17:00 - Netherlands

Today, I came home to found all of my belongings out on the street. My roommate, who is also my brother, apparantly neglected to pay his part of the rent, and we got evicted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 531
You deserved it 4 042

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just like you neglected to make sure he paid his half of the rent?

sucks :( but hopefully you can find a new roommate. oh and your brothers a jerk for not telling you he hasn't paid

Comments

sucks :( but hopefully you can find a new roommate. oh and your brothers a jerk for not telling you he hasn't paid

easylazy 0

YDI for not reading the whole lot of letters that came in the ******* mail!! Seriously, when someone gets evicted it's totally their fault. You know how many letters come in the mail before they're allowed to evict? You are so freakin dumb. A lot of it is your fault

what if the brother kept the letters from him? why are people taking fml's validity seriously.

HAHAHSUCKS4YOU 0

maybe you can move into a new appartment...and develop better grammar skills..."to found" lmao.

if u haven't noticed he's from the netherlands so naturally his english wouldn't be that good...-_-''

if u haven't noticed he's from the netherlands so naturally his english wouldn't be that good...-_-''

Dude, calm down. Maybe his brother has read through all those letters, ignored the bill and just threw all of them away before the victim could even read them.

vanessa_nessa_08 0

aww im sorry. tell him to stop being lazy and pay

i think she just accidentally entered it twice

I agree, YDI. I constantly check and recheck to make sure my roommates have their rent and bills in order when they can at all affect me. You let this happen, unless you were out of town for an extended period of time, in which case it's not really your fault, as you weren't there to check up on things.

Goldfinch86 0

Your landlords don't always give those, at least mine never did. Also this persons brother might have been in charge of turning in the rent and in that case trusting someone who may have been trustworthy and then copped out does not make them YDI.

bonzombiekitty 0

If your landlord isn't giving you some sort of confirmation of payment, you should be asking for him/her to give you one.

vanessa_nessa_08 0

aww im sorry. tell him to stop being lazy and pay

maichido 0

I'd shoot him and kick him out. He can pay for his own rent.

If you shoot him, how do you kick him out? he's dead.

hey, I keep seeing more dutch fml's today. I'm not the only Dutchie here anymore! (not that I ever was xD). But never, ever live together with your brother.

Hehe, no indeed. Lots of Dutch FML's recently. :-P Nice weather btw to find your stuff outside. The last few days where pretty messed up with rain and thunder and shit. :-/ You never got any warnings from the housing corporation?

idontgiveone 0
ChrisWasHere 0

Agreed. I doubt they'd kick you out because you missed one pay. I call bullshit.

Kristoffer 35

Professional property management companies, which run most of the rental properties in most places around the world, will indeed kick you out for one missed payment. I don't know what the laws are in the Netherlands but it's customary in Utah and probably the entire US to gve a 5-day grace period for paying rent, issue a 3-day notice to pay or vacate on the 6th (with varying amounts of late fees on a per-day basis calculated starting the 2nd), and then if the tenant is still there on the 9th and hasn't paid rent and late fees, initiate eviction proceedings. So yes, they will kick you out for missing one payment - but the swiftness of this eviction seems to indicate that this may not have been the first missed payment.

I'm not too sure because things take very long in terms of logistics in this country.

Just like you neglected to make sure he paid his half of the rent?

crazy_bananas 31

Why is it OP's job to make sure his idiot brother paid his part of the rent? Obviously if they are both old enough to be paying rent, and living separately from their parents then it should have been apparent that both were mature adults who can do the simple task of paying the rent. FYL OP

This is why I wouldn't live with my brother. Also, because I'm female, and it'd be awkward. But still.

Seti_fml 0

Don't landlords usually give you notices before evicting you? Or don't they at least give some warning?

sofarsogood 0

is english not your first language? if it is you should be thoroughly ashamed. if it is not, pretty solid job.

maybe they told the brother the warnings and he didnt tell him.