By tiredeolfatty - 21/09/2012 02:40 - Canada - Calgary

Today, I was having a race with a little kid. I let him win to make him feel like a champion. After the race, he turned to me and said, "Maybe if you weren't so fat you would have won." FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 583
You deserved it 4 530

Same thing different taste

Comments

Oh I love kids like this cause then I tell them how I'm "The boss." and make them do some housework to save me chores.

SApprentice 34

Kids can be such hateful little monsters. All you could really do is try to explain to him how hurtful that was.

Kids are usually brutally honest as they don't fully understand the effect words have. He probably didn't intent to hurt you. Just simply an innocent observation

SApprentice 34

15- Very true, their brains have not developed enough. They're not really cruel, they just lack the capacity for a lot of empathy.

17 - indeed. Their early development years are usually very self-centred. A larger capacity and desire for empathy can be seen 11+

Kallian_fml 21

22- As someone who has studied early childhood development for years (and is still studying more) I'd just like to clarify that 11+ is kind of way off. Children tend to start developing empathy around 3 years old and their desire for it only really gets stronger from there (I know, some a lot slower than others). But then again, OP just said 'little kid', and as 'little' is a matter of opinion, we really have no idea how old this child is.

Kids aren't stupid. It's called bad parenting. Depending on the age, yes they do know. Like if it were a 6 year old the parents should've already taught that little shit something. And I'm not speaking out of my ass, I KNOW this.

SApprentice 34

56- We never said kids are stupid. When a baby is born, their brain takes several years to fully develop, and even then the brain is still maturing until the ages of 20 or 21. As toddlers they have very little capability to feel empathy and sympathy. The brain just isn't all there and ready to go yet. As they get older, they steadily gain compassion, but it takes a lot of time and patience. There's no need to be so hostile.

38 - my apologies. I see from your profile that you're also pretty darn passionate about it too and I admire that as I also want to work with children. But I simply stated a "larger capacity" can be seen 11+, when they begin to accept more abstract and contextual ideas, such as the difference between obedience and morality. I'm also basing this on the cognitive theories developed by Piaget. I'm sure toddlers are capable of empathy, but not as much so as an 11 year old. Kids are lovely dude, but they won't see the harm in asking a question about body weight of stating a fact.

That would defeat the purpose of "letting him win to make him feel like a champion".

icychil 13

YDI for deceiving a child. Obviously he thought "why did I win, it is impossible" and then created a logical answer.

Yes. because kicking a childs ass in a race and dealing with the whinging is a much better alternative. You obviously have not had much experience around little children.

You're right icychil kids need to be taught about reality, life's not always fair. And if your child whines there are ways to teach them not to do this. When babysitting for my sister who has 4 kids I have a no whining policy. It works well and after about an hour of reminding them "No whining" they catch on and it's a more peaceful day.

icychil 13

Obviously the child was not very happy of winning. So, obviously he understood cheating. So, obviously, you just choose games that do not involve unequal competing. Otherwise, face the results.

19.. I was gonna say kick, but trip works too!

If OP did everything we suggested she would be in prison by tomorrow;D But that kid is a sore winner.

HeyArnold91 8

Why were you racing a kid in the first place? (Just curious as to what led to the race). Not saying you can't race kids, just not the '13 going on 30' type of kids.

Epikouros 31

That is when you tell him you let him win to be nice, challenge him to a rematch, and when you win rub it in his face that he got beat by a fatty.