By pale-suzie - 19/03/2014 12:28 - Denmark - Copenhagen

Today, I was fired over the phone, losing my only source of income. When asked if I was okay, I explained that although I understood why, I was a little peeved they'd chosen my birthday to deliver the message. My - now former - boss then sang "Happy Birthday" to me in its entirety. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 036
You deserved it 4 309

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not exactly what one would consider a great birthday present. You could always ask him to buy the drinks you're going to drown your sorrows in, as a proper gift.

Comments

DatWeirdoDoe 9

Awww OP. I know how you feel. We all have those rude teachers or bosses that u just wanna smack for doin dumb shit on your bday

KiaKarma 11

New year, new you-- begining with a new job! You know what they say; when one door closes many more open ( or something like that. ) Keep your head up, OP.

I would have hung up on him so fast. What a jerk!!

CyberGothic 16

Seriously, the only way he would have been able to get through the entire Happy Birthday song is because you didn't hang the {*#% up on him 3-4 words into it.

There is a very big difference between things in business and things outside it. If they too the time to ask if you're alright then they obviously worried outside the normal business relationship and perhaps were trying to cheer you up. Poor taste given the circumstances but still a possibility. Some people just don't know when to tactfully shut the hell up after all.

I would have just hung up. But sorry, OP. Happy Belated and good luck job hunting!

Is that not illegal? That is also very unprofessional and rude way to dismiss someone. At least where I live you need to give the employee at least 2 weeks notice in a FORMAL letter. It also means you have a record of doing it. The OP could turn up for work and claim that phone call never happened..