By bruhskoni - 31/05/2015 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was exhausted due to staying up all night practicing for the most important performance of my orchestral career. I decided to take a nap to energize myself in preparation of the evening and woke up just in time to realize I'd missed the entire concert. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 467
You deserved it 11 574

bruhskoni tells us more.

Haha, yeah. I did set an alarm, but I was so exhausted I slept right through it and my clock turns itself off after about 20 minutes. I'm also studying for finals so it's just been a very awful stressful time period. To all of you guys saying YDI, you're totally right. I spread myself too thin and didn't adequately prepare, so it was all my fault. Luckily it was a small ensemble performance, and 2nd chair took my place, rather than a big solo, so it wasn't the end of the world that I missed it, but it was a big opportunity to exhibit my talent. There will be more to come though, and I will make sure not to be sleep deprived! Also to all y'all saying "sorry for your neighbors", luckily my school's music building has very nifty sound proof practice rooms which I spend a lot of Time in. Thank you all for your support and I'm mad excited this got published. To anybody else who also just suffered through/is taking finals, may luck be on your side!

Top comments

Even though this is an FML, set an alarm clock next time!

Comments

The same thing happened to me, with a Graphics exam - I revised the entire night, when I was confident I have everything in my brain it was dawning, so I decided to take a nap... My alarm failed to wake me up... I missed the exam by 10 min...

Take it from someone who knows. There's no such thing as naps when you're exhausted.

I will never get why people think it's a good idea to repeat / revise the whole night preceding an exam or something important. There is no way you will be performant without a proper night of sleep and there is no point trying to absorb all kind of information just 24 hours before. This type of things demand to be prepared in advance and regularly.

So sorry to hear that OP :( I'm a professional violinist, and I know if it was something like Carnegie Hall or an international symphony hall then I would be totally heartbroken and devastated. Who knows, if you work at it you may get the opportunity to perform there again. You were good enough to get there once, and you can be better for the next time. But, even if you don't get the chance again, your career isn't over! Just keep your head up, you never know what will pop up :) *hugs*

cobra2012 13

Practicing too much can actually backfire... Especially pulling all nighters the day before a performance

surely lots of people tried to call you to find out where you were for the performance?!