By bruhskoni - 31/05/2015 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was exhausted due to staying up all night practicing for the most important performance of my orchestral career. I decided to take a nap to energize myself in preparation of the evening and woke up just in time to realize I'd missed the entire concert. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 467
You deserved it 11 574

bruhskoni tells us more.

Haha, yeah. I did set an alarm, but I was so exhausted I slept right through it and my clock turns itself off after about 20 minutes. I'm also studying for finals so it's just been a very awful stressful time period. To all of you guys saying YDI, you're totally right. I spread myself too thin and didn't adequately prepare, so it was all my fault. Luckily it was a small ensemble performance, and 2nd chair took my place, rather than a big solo, so it wasn't the end of the world that I missed it, but it was a big opportunity to exhibit my talent. There will be more to come though, and I will make sure not to be sleep deprived! Also to all y'all saying "sorry for your neighbors", luckily my school's music building has very nifty sound proof practice rooms which I spend a lot of Time in. Thank you all for your support and I'm mad excited this got published. To anybody else who also just suffered through/is taking finals, may luck be on your side!

Top comments

Even though this is an FML, set an alarm clock next time!

Comments

If your good enough you'll have many other chances to perform.

Do you not know how to set an alarm? YDI

But why nobody from the orchestra didint call you ??

Oh my god so sorry that must be horrible

BEEN. THERE. There is literally no feeling in the world that's shittier for a musician. I'm so sorry that happened to you, OP.

curiouslilbird 19

How awful!! I've been there, when even the loudest alarm won't wake you because you're so exhausted and you've been so anxious for so long. These folks saying "YDI for staying up all night" have likely never been in music school where your entire life is wrapped up in rehearsals no matter your skill level. Not to mention that "just setting an alarm/several alarms" doesn't work for everyone re: stress/anxiety/exhaustion, though YMMV. I am wondering, however, if no one called or came to check on you. A concert this important would have involved a good number of people, I'd have thought, and unless everyone got hit with a wave of bystander apathy, someone should have called or checked in. Whatever the case, I hope someone in charge shows you some human sympathy and gives you a second chance, OP!

maggiefox 25

Something similar has happened to me :/

mwali02 32

Stress and sleep deprivation don't go so well. So sorry OP...

Wow that stinks. Hopefully you can explain why you didn't make it.

I'm so sorry about that, as a music student, I have sympathy for your story. What made the concert so important? Did you have a solo?