By bruhskoni - 31/05/2015 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was exhausted due to staying up all night practicing for the most important performance of my orchestral career. I decided to take a nap to energize myself in preparation of the evening and woke up just in time to realize I'd missed the entire concert. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 467
You deserved it 11 574

bruhskoni tells us more.

Haha, yeah. I did set an alarm, but I was so exhausted I slept right through it and my clock turns itself off after about 20 minutes. I'm also studying for finals so it's just been a very awful stressful time period. To all of you guys saying YDI, you're totally right. I spread myself too thin and didn't adequately prepare, so it was all my fault. Luckily it was a small ensemble performance, and 2nd chair took my place, rather than a big solo, so it wasn't the end of the world that I missed it, but it was a big opportunity to exhibit my talent. There will be more to come though, and I will make sure not to be sleep deprived! Also to all y'all saying "sorry for your neighbors", luckily my school's music building has very nifty sound proof practice rooms which I spend a lot of Time in. Thank you all for your support and I'm mad excited this got published. To anybody else who also just suffered through/is taking finals, may luck be on your side!

Top comments

Even though this is an FML, set an alarm clock next time!

Comments

You idiot. It's called setting an alarm. If you don't have that - find a way to trigger some way to wake you up. Don't be an idjit OP...

Hope you weren't the only person playing that instrument...or had a solo of some sort...hope the next one goes better

How? I had to be at work at 7 today and I went to sleep at 5:45 and I woke up fine AND made it to work on time. Totally your fault. Unfortunate situation. But, 100% your fault.

At least you won't stress about it anymore

"the most important performance of my orchestral career" implies that OP will, because now he may have to work even harder just to get back to where he could have been had he nailed this performance.

That was not the intention of my comment. Obviously, it sucks that op missed the performance. But at least now it is done and over with, and he/she will not have to stress about it in that sense.

While it sucks that you missed the whole thing, I also feel that you deserve it for pulling an all nighter and then expecting a nap to fix it and that you would wake in time from the nap. If it was such an important performance then you should have already practised enough that you could do it in your sleep and not have to rely on a last minute practise.

I would've imagined that you'd be woken up by the sounds of your phone blowing up like Baghdad from all your colleagues wondering where you were.

As a fellow musician, I feel your pain, horror, and embarrassment. But seriously, mix in an alarm clock or three. lol. Hope you get another chance to showcase your talent.

FYL for sleeping through it. YDI for not making sure you had an alarm set to give you enough time to get there. I know you needed to stay up to get the practice in one sitting. I hope this taught you a valuable lesson, and next time you have like 10 alarms of different sounds set.

This speaks to my soul, OP. I am so, so sorry.

AletheDefender 15

That is probably my worst nightmare