By Anonymous - 17/09/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I went to tell my grandpa, who immediately said, "I'm sorry, let's go get ice cream to cheer you up." FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 920
You deserved it 3 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awwww does he even know what diabetes is?

Probably just slipped out out of habit. When one of my friends is down we always suggest going out to get ice cream. Either that or he doesn't really understand what diabetes is.

Comments

srscrs 0

EL OH EL at the people who are taking this so seriously and getting so mad at how this isn't a real "fml". Bitch, please. Get a sense of humor or gtfo.

Zii_13 0

I have type 1 diabetes, and when I was first diagnosed, yes, I had to be really careful about what I ate, but after a while I got a new doctor who told me I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted as long as I kept track of my blood sugars and gave the insulin to cover the carb intake. The op may have been referring to type 2, but type 1 generally are not that limited in what they can eat. It just depends on your doctor. I would definitely not take it out on the grandpa.

lol, I was going to say "aww how sweet of your grandpa. Why is it an FML?", then i realized XD Sorry!

unless you are fat and have it, it's not like you can't eat ice cream. diabetics are allowed to have sugar. way to know your own medical problems.

Sugar free ice cream isn't really that much different, since any incredient that the body processes into sugar also counts. That said, I have type 2 and I really haven't had to change much of anything diet-wise. I've eliminated soda and replaced the sugar in my coffee with Splenda, other than that it's managed just fine with exercise and occasional pills. You can still have ice cream as long as you keep your blood sugar well managed. And if your doc caught it early, with good care you may find that your life really isn't impacted as much as you probably think it will be.

NEWS FLASH! Do your own (and better) research. They make ice cream and frozen yogurt that you can eat. I can't stand people that basically expect people to ooh and ahh because they have diabetes. Also, sounds like Grandpa has a sense of humor. Try looking into getting one while you're looking up diabetic info.

And you're on the internet complaining about it? I am SICK and TIRED of people coming on FML and complaining about their stupid, preventable diseases. Why the **** did you eat so much sugar? And you're probably sitting there, blaming Grandpa because he took you to the ice cream parlor three times a day. Well NEWS FLASH! It's YOUR fault for drinking 20 billion sodas, eating Reese's peanut butter cups every thirty seconds, and whatever else you did to give yourself diabetes. GTF off the internet and go start trying to find a cure. ... For everyone who posts similar comments on FMLs relating to fat people... do you see what I just did? Your comments are just as ******* useless.

Seriously?! okay, sure there is a point to that... if the person is a type 2 diabetic. I am a type 1, have been since i was 9. i am not fat, i am actually perfect weight for my height, i wasn't diagnosed a daibetic because i "ate too much sugar." Diabetes can be a genetic disease that you are unable to lose. so you think by coming on here and telling this person to get off the computer and lose wieght, well screw off because not only did you just offened the op, you offened me and probably most diabetics around the world. just because someone is a diabetic doesn't mean that they are overwieght. It is a life long diease for some people, like me. I will never be able to have back my childhood because of my genetics... and if you decide to reply and be another pompous ass and tell me to go to raise money for a cure and stop complaing, i do. So get off your high horse and realize that there are different degrees of this diease, and just because they deciede to not speicify what type they have doesn't mean that they are obese.

Hey, I totally know there are different degrees to this disease. Nor do I think someone should be blamed for getting it. I wrote this post simply to show the idiots who say similar (and worse) things to a fat OP that comments like these are useless.

i'm not sure if that post was a joke... but if it wasn't... WOW. that's type TWO diabetes. if you have type one, then it has nothing to do with you eating too much or being too fat. it's because your pancreas stops secreting the insulin needed to use the sugar that you eat. without the insulin, the sugar just stays in your blood (hence, people have high blood sugar when they eat too much sugar without using the appropriate amount of insulin).

#51 Diabetes can be genetic. I have type two diabetes. I am 18 years old and not over weight. I didn't eat a lot of sugar or carbs as a child seeing as my parents are health freaks. Sometimes it just happens. None of my doctors can figure out why I ended up with it.

This isn't the whole story. Then, he and his friends went get ice cream. They asked someone for directions, but instead had a knife pulled on them. Apparently "grandpa" looks like a mugger.