By anonymous - 14/10/2016 03:46 - United States - Manchester

Today, I was babysitting, and the family dog was unable to move, so I had texted the mother about it. We put the small dog on the couch to make it comfortable while the mother was on her way to get the dog and take it to the vet. Turns out, we sat with a dead dog for about ten minutes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 819
You deserved it 1 286

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You didn't see that if wasn't breathing though? I'm not trying to blame you and that really sucks OP I'm sorry but how could you not notice it was dead?

Comments

You didn't see that if wasn't breathing though? I'm not trying to blame you and that really sucks OP I'm sorry but how could you not notice it was dead?

It could have not been moving, they put it on the couch to rest, and it died while the mum was on her way.

I was thinking it probably died after OP put it on the couch and the mother was on their way. It probably showed signs of life before being put on the couch and just couldn't move at the moment.

We need a follow-up to answer this question..

I agree. Any dead pet I’ve had, went stiff. You’d notice they were dead.

It's not like it was a decaying animal or anything, I see nothing wrong with sitting with recently deceased pets or trying to make them comfortable. And it's not like you knew. The real sad part here is that whatever child you were babysitting had to go through pretty much watching their pet die.

If the adult (or at least older kid) babysitter didn't realize, I doubt the kids did. It should be fairly easy to explain in a way that won't traumatized the kids.

"Today, I hired a babysitter and came back home to my dog being dead. FML"

SteveDudleyUK 10

At least it wasn't one of the kids you were babysitting. Though maybe, now the parents know your the harbinger of death, you won't be babysitting there again.

SteveDudleyUK 10

At least you were there with it while It passed, losing a dog is terrible.

oh no, that must have been traumatizing, especially for the kids. F your life and F theirs too.

I am sorry, both for your experience and their loss

SmittyJA24 26

Don't be too hard on yourself, I've worked with physicians that couldn't recognize a dead patient. (FML) It can be a challenge.