By tgd4444 - 23/07/2011 10:29 - Malaysia

Today, I was arrested. The policeman threw me to the ground because I wouldn't answer his questions. This was after he told me I had the "right to remain silent". FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 411
You deserved it 8 474

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You have a choice. The police cannot make you answer any questions nor can they be physically violent toward you if you don't. OPs rights were violated and I damn well hope they take it to court. Police brutality is never acceptable.

Comments

drew2711 0

Don't you need to actually invoke your rights? I don't think you can just sit there silently...

had the right to get your ass whipped too, obviously

Lawbynature 0

that is why you then sue him and get te states money and his ass on probation without pay for a while haha.

TheIllusionist 0

I think your supposed to say " I plead the fifth"

Lol The 5th protects you from from self-incrimination. This is the most applicable while testifying in court. However, the caveat is that if you plead the 5th while testifying it'll be seen as an admission of guilt by the jury, even if it's "not supposed to work that way". And anyway, one's Miranda Rights are given when there is an intent to interrogate; your rights don't have to be read if there is not this intent. Most will do it anyway though, just in case.

PlatinumNinja 0

Well, OP, don't do something to make the cops want to arrest next time. It's not that hard. YDI.