By whyme - 07/02/2012 06:38 - United States

Today, I walked into the house only to be greeted by the strongest smell of dung. I asked my mom about it, and it turns out she's been airing these strange herbs throughout the house, most of which are in my bedroom. She won't let me open the window. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 730
You deserved it 2 119

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pippa08 0

go around the house farting and tell her your airing the house with your own scents of choice

Comments

nattynatters 14

Yeah. My mom used to burn sage and other shit around the house all of the time. Says it gets rid off all the bad energy. Lock your door and open a window.

Its popular among people with no common sense...

Sage smells freaking great. Always leaves the home feeling fresh

faceplantangel 4

Actually there is a type of weed 'skunk' weed that really does smell gross.So it's possible her special herbs was that. Either way air freshener is a life saver among men I'm sure it will work against funky herb odor.Best of luck OP

That happens when the dog eats your stash.

And you don't do it because she said so? Open a ******* window. If that were me, I'd move that shit out and open the window. I wouldn't give a ****. It's my house too, so I have rights too. Just like you.

No, it isn't. Do you pay the mortgage/rent? Do you pay the electricity bill? The water bill? Phone bill? Gas bill? No?? Then it isn't your ******* house. You have no rights other than to complain and HOPE your parents listen. If you choose to live there, you choose to live by the owners' rules. Don't like that? Then get out. Otherwise shut up and appreciate the roof over your ungrateful head.

We have no idea what the situation is. Who knows maybe OP's family is in a financial situation and OP pays a majority of the bills.

thiscrazything 1

Chances are, if OP is not allowed to open a window, then OP does not pay any of the bills. Relentless complaining may do the trick though.

thinkPlNK 0

i love how my parents always seem to remind me that i live under their house and have to follow their rules (not that I mind it) but yet, when it's time to clean, it suddenly becomes my house too..

PINK - amazing how that works, isn't it? Yes, you live there, and you shouldn't expect others to clean up your shit. Part of "their rules" is "clean up your own damned mess".

desireev 17

30- It is your responsibility to clean the house you live in. 99% of the time, it is the kids' mess anyway. It's the least you could do considering your parents pay all of your bills and make sure you're fed and taken care of and you have somewhere to sleep every night. Alot of kids don't have that! So help clean the house and be grateful.

I'm with Doc B' here - when you have worked for 20 years to get a place that's big enough to house you and your ungrateful family, _then_ you get to complain about the rules. Until you do, be grateful that your contribution is the cleaning and not the $2000 a month.

If that's the case and she has to "clean her own mess" and she's a decently clean person already it's not her house till they want something from you. That's the typical cheap parental card they yank out when they for want to clean after themselves they demand you do it. Your the maid till you get out of there. It's why I moved.

desireev 17

The lack of respect for parents anymore stuns me! They keep a roof over your head and make sure you're fed and taken care of.. And you can't even show some respect and clean up the ******* mess in the house?! Wow... Just wow!

42 - obviously there are people who will abuse any situation but asking your kids to contribute to the upkeep of the house they live in is not unreasonable. Perhaps your parents were asking more than your fair share - fair enough, you moved out. However, there are plenty of kids who continue to live with their parents and accept being kept, cooked for, laundered for etc and still moan about being asked to lift a finger. I agree that kids are not slaves, but they often forget that parents are not either.

You're suppose to respect your parents. But when your in high school, the parents should start incorporating the child in decision making too. If someones opinion is respected, they start to mature more and respect others opinions also. I only had one parent so my mom used me as the "other adult" and respected what I had to say too. Just because Soemone doesn't agree with something their parents are doing, doesn't mean they can't have a say or are ungrateful.

Glittercookies - your point is very well taken and quite valid. However, I don't think many parents would ignore an actual opinion from their children. We're talking more about the complaining about cleaning the house that the other people are talking about and gets them labeled as brats. It's amazing how quickly and profoundly your perspective changes after you have kids.

DocBastard, thinkPINK has a point. I agree with you about cleaning ones own mess as a courtesy to others. But when you haven't used a single dish in three days, it's a bit unfair to be to one who has to wash three loads of dishes that other people didn't even bother rinsing. Or to have to scrub other people's streaks from the toilet bowl.

desireev 17

Pssh.. Kids need to feel lucky that they have dishwashers to 'load'. My mom had 3 dishwashers.. Their names were Desiree, Kenny, and Catherine. (My brother, sister, and myself.) We all had our turns of having to do dishes. We all had chores to do. And we did all of our chores without complaining. We appreciated all that we had and we appreciated our parents taking care of us. Our parents didn't have to clean the house. We did. But now that I'm an adult, I'm thankful because I'm not a slob and I am thankful for everything I ever got as a child. And I'm going to raise my children the exact same way. I don't want my child to become an adult and have a nasty house that he can't pay the bills on and have no responsibility. Those are life lessons that need to be learned! And it all starts with doing chores! Responsibility is key!

Xander, ThinkPINK does not have a point. Cleaning only after yourself is called "selfish". What if your mother had said "It's not my mouth. I won't feed it. Cook for yourself". You may think it's different because she's the mother and it's her "job" to provide for you. Well it is, but it's your job as the child to respect your parents and help them.

thinkPlNK 0

thank you Doc and Desire. i agree with what you both said but my comment wasn't supposed to be taken serious. lol

Funny how you acknowledge that your perspective changes after having kids but you seem incapable of tolerating those whose perspective hasn't been changed. I think a little understanding that children haven't been exposed to the world yet and as such haven't got a full grasp on how the world works is important. After all, if it is your child, you are the one who chose to bring the child into the world and are responsible for it whether you're happy with it or not. It's funny how parents are more than happy to drop the onus on the child that they need to conform or get out, but in doing so fail to accept their own responsibilities. That said, 20 is a jackass as a result of a parent failing to accept their responsibilities too.

bvq25 8

while i agree with doc that it's not his house if he doesn't pay the bills, we don't know OP's financial situation. my bf lives at his grandparent's house, with them, yet pays most of the bills. OP could have a similar situation.

Open a window, if she complains tell her to **** off and throw the herbs out the window. I'm sorry but NO house should have to smell like that. I have a strong sense of smell and if anyone put those in my house, especially my room, I would toss them out the window in a heartbeat. I don't care if they are expensive or not, there are plenty of better places to put them.

If it's your house then you can do as you choose, although being a little less confrontational with those you live with doesn't hurt. However, we assume this is the OP's Mum's house and doing as you suggest stands a fair chance of seeing her out on the street with all her possessions thrown out of the window. An undue sense of entitlement doesn't always bring out the best in people.

perdix 29

It's not the herbs that smell like shit, it's the way your mom is fertilizing them. It's time for you to move out.

Herbs that smell like dung.. This is a new one for me. If it's that unbearable take them and stash them around her bedroom!

desireev 17

Skunk weed does smell disgusting! If you've smelled it before, you know that it stinks so damn bad! But they say that it's the best!

Throw them out and open a window. She bought those "special herbs" from the creepy dude down the street!