By LiveLoveLys - 31/03/2012 18:28 - Canada - Barrie

Today, I tried to explain to my 23-year-old boyfriend the difference between "your" and "you're". I do this every other day, but it's like his head is permanently stuck in the first grade. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 139
You deserved it 6 909

LiveLoveLys tells us more.

LiveLoveLys 1

OP here. I love my boyfriend, but you wouldn't BELIEVE how lazy and unmotivated he is sometimes. I think his attitude of not giving a **** goes back to how he's always been fed with a silver spoon and been given EVERYTHING in life. He feels as if he doesn't need to do anything, and that it's all up to everyone else. That goes for getting a job and earning money to pay the bills as well as stupid stuff like this. His attitude is "if they can figure it out, why should I care?" That doesn't make him a bad person, but it's hugely insensitive. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people here talking crap about me are exactly the same as he is. That "your" vs "you're" thing bugs the hell out of me anyway and it's not like committing the difference to memory is a hard thing. Long rant done, thanks. Edit: I didn't mean to reply to this comment. :S

Top comments

Ohhhh shit here come all the grammar nazis.

cc_the_beast 6

This FML is a grammar nazis wet dream.

Comments

Explain it to him while having sex next time, guys seem to memorize things during sex

bitch_pleez 10

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

grammar. It * That should have been a full stop after "grammar" followed by a new sentence. You SO asked for that.

bitch_pleez 10

Well thank you for the correction I will remember that in the future and if I give a **** I will write it correctly. There's a difference between knowing and caring, people!!!!!

Maybe if you could tell the difference in the first place and write/talk correctly without seeming like an idiot, then maybe people wouldn't have to correct you.

bitch_pleez 10

write/ talk When you use ___/ ___ there should be a space after the /. If you call me an idiot for missing something, you better make damn sure your grammar is correct. This is why I am much more likely to listen to DocBastard.

Wrong. Look it up in any grammar manual. Besides, rules on how to use slashes are a lot more niche than basic English grammar. Anyway, stop spamming. Nobody wants to hear your stupidity.

bitch_pleez 10

If I'm spamming, what are you doing? You've posted just as much as me

Bitch_pleez - actually there is no space after the slash. You only put spaces before and after the slash if you're indicating line break when quoting multiple lines in a poem.

I'm feeding the troll, so I guess I'm stupid there and I'll stop before you get bloated. Quit whining and crying like a ******* baby. It's embarrassing.

bitch_pleez 10

DocBastard, there actually is a space after a slash anytime you are using it to separate words, not just after poetry.

Bitch, please. That is only true in poetry and some prose.

bitch_pleez 10

Sirin, prose is writing. So I am still correct.

Only if you want to mark a new paragraph in such a way, Bitch, otherwise you either put a space on both sides, or none at all.

Bitch_pleez, why did you make an attempt to correct Shrike's grammar after openly expressing your resent for people who correct other people's grammar? Make up your mind!

CoffeeChickBlows 13

BP's just mad 'cause he was kicked out of Grammar Nazi college. :)

The only thing worse than someone who makes mistakes repeatedly is someone who refuses to admit he's wrong.

Anyone up to castrate and perform a lobotomy to bitch_pleez?

LiveLoveLys 1

That guy should date my boyfriend for a day. They'd be really happy together. :-P

bitch_pleez - just stop... Even the OP blasted you. It's time to be quiet.

I agree with #15, as long as you can understand the person I don't see why people have to get all offended and start being spelling/grammar nazis, especially on the internet. Although there are some places where it does matter

Deadzombie 2

Oh, so.... YOU'RE one oh those people.

Bitch if you don't separate your prose from the cons, your failure with verbatim will have fed these trolls more than all of Africa eats in a month.. If you don't see what I did there, you are a lost cause. That is all.

bitch_pleez 10

134, I did see what you did. The rest of you, please link me to reputable articles that say being a grammar Nazi has positive effects and leads to change in the minds of people who disagree with you or STFU. Thanks (:

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Wow, epic education thread. I can't believe this many people, including DocBastard, and even the OP, cannot convince one idiot of their obvious grammar fail.

connerwonner 7

At 58 listen to docbastard h is a doctor :)

You know, in a lot of settings it really does matter. Nobody on the Internet is going to do much if you failed to learn basic grammar, but in offices full of relatively intelligent people you will be judged poorly for a lacking command over the English language. Bad spelling and grammar gives clients a bad impression - would you sincerely want to do business with someone who doesn't even care enough to spell and grammar check their documents? - not to mention that it comes across as a little startling that someone who's been using a language for a quarter of a century or more hasn't yet mastered the absolute basics. Practical example, in my previous job one of my non-technical responsibilities was hiring junior software developers. We would get around 400 initial applicants for 8 positions, it was my responsibility to whittle that 400 down to about 40 or 50 which I'd then interview. So, when you have so much choice, what do you look at? Experience, education, applicable skills, apparent technical ability were all major factors, but the first thing I did was go through every single CV and instantly dump the ones with bad spelling or grammar. If you don't care enough to spell, grammar check and proof read the first impression you're going to be making on us then we don't want you. This is very common practice for highly contested jobs.

I'd thumb you up, 180, but iPhone says "no". :(

Thank you!!! I so agree! If you can understand, and it's not harming anyone, and it's not ghetto talk, what is the big deal?

wlddog 14

I, want, commas, after, every, word. But what do I know?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here as sarcasm can be difficult to identify via online comments....

I hope she's sarcastic; otherwise, that's incredibly ironic :|

Yes, haha a failed attempt at sarcasm. Sorry. I'll go die now.

*You're LOLOLOLOLOL I was waiting for someone to make that mistake.

Edit: I just realized it was a joke. Now I'LL go die in a hole :P

I can relate. When I had a bf I constantly explained to him the difference between "of" and "have". He was 24 at the time and never understood.

nani_rox 9
uprising_fml 0

she said' had' as in 'I used to have'. I believe 'had' is in an acceptable way in this sentence.

22- I believe he meant "had" to point out the presence of past tense.

uprising_fml 0
rcgirl2 11

And you're still with him because?

bitch_pleez 10

Because she still likes him, and because bad grammar is the worst excuse for a breakup I've ever heard.

juturnaamo 29

But 'Every time I write you, you correct my grammar' is an excellent reason to break up.

Fmylife is an ironic place to find sympathy on this subject; most people here need your help too.

Since YOU'RE implying he's dumb, what's YOUR reason for dating someone that stupid and constantly reminding him easy grammar? Doesn't it get annoying?

Their is no reason too get you're panties in a twist over this. You should of just corrected him once, and than let him continue looking stupid. Its his problem, not your's. Just keep you're wits about you and your going to be fine.

Like nails on a chalkboard to a grammar nazi.

should have corrected him, not should of sorry doc. however, I do enjoy your comments

63- that's the only mistake you found? All the mistakes were purposeful which is what made it funny.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH That was the sound of my comment going over escapedfromexico's head.

63 just destroyed the last tiny shred of hope I had for the English language. Clearly, it's dead now. W3 m1te 4s we11 411 st4rt tlk1ng lyk3 d1s n0w 1 gu3ss...

Well, 63 did just escape from Mexico... I'll just give him/her the benefit of the doubt. English probably isn't their first language. Doc is the best!!! Wow, I always thought everyone who got then and than mixed up just had typos... then I looked at my keyboard. Although A & E are close, they aren't close enough to be called a typo.

I guess enter doesn't work for a new line on FML via the Android app... They couldn't even give me a space... -_-

202 Actually I believe it's *two be fine.

Hooked on Phonics worked for me! Maybe it'll work for him?

I had to explain to my wife how long it takes to go 80 miles when you're traveling at 80 miles per hour. - That guy from the YouTube video

skyeyez9 24

I was embarrassed for that girl in the 80mph video....watching her babble on made me cringe.

Yep. They're CLEARLY in it for the sex.