By Anonymous - 30/09/2009 02:11 - Canada

Today, I received a surprise "absolute final notice" email for payment of an overdue fee from the university I withdrew from 6 months ago. Turns out, my old landlord has been hoarding their letters to me. As a result, my credit is now in the shitter and I had to pay an extra $120 in interest. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 224
You deserved it 2 892

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't it illegal to be hoarding someone's mail? I'm sure there are courts that'll take your case. You can probably make your dumbass landlord pay the fees and the interest.

I'm speechless. What possible reason could your landlord have for hoarding letters? All I imagine is a handmade ship constructed with mail and spit.

Comments

birds_fml 7

What makes you think your credit is ruined? An absolute final notice is what they give you JUST BEFORE it gets sent to collections, and it will not show up on your credit report unless it's been sent to collections (at least for colleges, it WILL show up for items of credit like credit cards, but college is not credit). Therefore, if you pay it in full, it will not hurt your credit. You can sue your landlord in small claims for the $120 late fee he caused.

forget small claims... it's a federal offense to take someone elses mail...

OP doesn't live there any more, and I'm fairly sure it's not illegal to keep mail that's been sent to your own house like the landlord did. A lot of landlords might be nice enough to forward on any extra post but there's no legal obligation to do so

nyuukou 0

Actually, it's illegal to read mail that isn't addressed to you. Pretty sure you can't keep it either. That's why those coupon mailers and stuff say "Current Resident". It's cheaper than having to find out the name of someone who lives there, and hoping they haven't moved. So, really, the landlord SHOULD have returned it to the sender, or forwarded it. It did not have their name on it, thus, despite being delivered to a property they owned, it is NOT their mail.

u guys, the landlord was hoarding the mail as the op clearly states.. which means that the op already established a forwarding address. i just wanted to point that out.

In the US that's a federal crime that you can go to fed prison for a long time. Swear a warrant for his arrest and sue him.

Zeeeeroooo02 0

man you should sue that landlord. it's illegal to hold others mail

Yeah, so if you're only paying 120 bucks in interest, your credit will be fine.

Sum_Dum_Bum 0

He hoarded your mail. That's stealing it. In the United States, it's a federal offense to steal mail. Report him, and send him to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

Sux for you Canadians. That is a federal offense here in the states. Here you either gotta return it to teh post office or forward it to the recipient's new address.