By Anonymous - 15/11/2015 17:36 - United States - Show Low

Today, I picked up an elderly woman walking alone in the cold. I asked her where she was going but she didn't respond. Thinking she was just cold, I kept driving until a man driving erratically kept honking at me. Turns out he's her husband and she has severe Alzheimers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 159
You deserved it 2 271

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bobbybev95 17

No way you could have known. That was really nice of you to think to let her warm up in the car. Good on you OP!

Well, at least you helped somebody. Hopefully the husband understood what happened and was cool with it.

Comments

bobbybev95 17

No way you could have known. That was really nice of you to think to let her warm up in the car. Good on you OP!

Alzheimer's is such an awful disease. My heart is with whomever suffers from it ):

Such an awful disease and can be even harder on the family. To watch your loved ones eventually not be able to recognize you and become a shell of their former selves.

Well, at least you helped somebody. Hopefully the husband understood what happened and was cool with it.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Though those with alzhiemers might forget us, but we as a society must remember them. Hats off to you my friend.

I feel for the poor husband. What it must be to watch the one you love forget you..

man_in_black08 28

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's funny in a sad way. Having known someone with alzheimers, you take all the opportunities to laugh about it because they are so far between!

lexiieeex3 32

Definitely couldn't have known. It's cold, you did the right thing. They really should have an Alzheimer's bracelet or something like they do for peanut allergies though in case of emergency.

I doubt someone with Alzheimer's would be able to wear it if they were in the stage where they would do what the lady in this fml did. they would be very confused and frustrated by it. now if they were in the later/end stages where they couldn't even walk, it wouldn't be necessary at that point lol

They have them. And you can get any medical condition put on a medical bracelet, if you can't find one locally. My local CVS sells Alzheimer's bracelets along with their nut allergy bracelets and diabetes bracelets. Some even have locking clasps where you need a special tool to remove them. There are also GPS locators that can be attached to the person discreetly, where they may not be able to find them.

It's a good idea but sometimes something like that can really agitate the person so you have to just work on things that are immediate threats.

I'm not sure why 16 is downvoted; I worked for several years with people with dementia and I totally agree with their comment. If they don't recognise the bracelet (most of them "time travel" and live in the past, so wouldn't remember it as theirs) they would remove it thinking it didn't belong to them.

megs925 16

Well, at least she wasn't a ghost.

megs925 16

Haha! What I meant was, this sounded like the start to a cliche ghost story.