By TysonY2 - 26/01/2015 22:30 - United States - Boise

Today, I mentioned to my girlfriend that I'd sent in a job application after she went home. In front of her parents. Who thought she'd stayed the night at a friend's place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 368
You deserved it 8 873

TysonY2 tells us more.

CLARIFICATION: (Yes I am the op) Yes, she stayed the night at my house. We are both 18, and have been dating for 4 years. Her parents had been assuming we had been "fooling" around for quite some time, so they weren't really per say SHOCKED when it slipped my mind. We both live with our parents, but my mom left for the night. The reason it slipped my mind was because she was the one who told me there was an opening (she saw a sign as we were driving back from getting coffee the morning after), so to my stupid ass brain attributed her directly to applying in the first place. Her mom laughed, and her dad remained silent. Her little brother also remained silent.

Top comments

Unless you specified a time, you should've been able to play it off. It's not like you said "oh, when you left my place this morning and I was picking your panties off the chandelier, I thought maybe I could be a French maid so I sent in an application."

You're screwed AND careless. I'm assuming you knew prior to saying it that she was keeping it a secret from them.

Comments

UhHuhHoney 20

This needs clarification. Did she actually stay the night with you? Or did she tell you she's going home, but spent the night at "a friends" house?

countryb_cth 38

She spent the night with him and told her parents she was at a "friends" house.

It says that in the sentence. I hate people who can't understand a simple sentence. There's no need for clarification if you would stop reading things full of hash tags and Kardashians.

It's all there in plain text. Learn to read.

But what is the problem at all? Do her parents know she's his gf and that she lied? If not so than why can't OP pretend to be this 'friend'.

#25&26 English is indeed my second language. However I think my proficiency may be adequate. I studied English for over ten years in school and university and hold a degree as foreign language correspondent for English. In addition I also lived and worked in the US for over eight years. And just because your understanding of your own native language is so limited, that you cannot see that both plots are possible, it does not make me stupid.

Thanks for the life story, needs more dragons and sword fights though.

actually it's made pretty clear "in front of her parents who thought she'd stayed at a friend's place" someome with 10 years of english schooling should be able to decipher that

#35 - 3rd place state youth championship with the sabre. - once created a giant burn mark in the garden with my chemistry kit, blamed it on dragons... didn't fly though. :-)

Silver_89 9

Stop being assholes guys. Just because something is crystal clear to you doesn't mean it will be to everyone else, especially when it comes to language. It's also not that difficult to politely explain what someone isn't understanding. I understood the FML but I do think it could have been written better.

At first I thought that the girlfriend left the op's house to go home, and told her parents she was spending the night at her "friends" which had me thinking she spent the night with someone else (another guy perhaps?) in which case my first thought was "well where did she sleep then." it wasn't until I read it a few times that I realized the girlfriend slept at op's house but lied to her parents about it and then op forgot and mentioned that she was at his house, thus revealing to the parents that she'd spent the night with him. So yes, this FML was worded very weirdly and with the way it's worded it sounds like the girlfriend could've spent the night at someone else's house, although that's not likely.

mojobanks 8

You told her dad you are sleeping with his little girl and you are unemployed in one sentence. Yea, FYL

sending off job applications doesn't mean you're unemployed, he might have a job where he's not happy at, or feels his skills could be put to better use somewhere else

Guess the job application wasn't the only thing being put in that night was it OP

johnbutsy 6

Awkward if her dad was your boss to be...

YDI if you knew, if you didn't then, I'm sorry to tell you, but your gf is an idiot for not telling you she was lying to her parents about where she was staying the night.

ndnpride88 25

Good luck with that one. Hopefully they see it as in your trying to get yourself together.

LostInTheZone11 29

It took me a few reads, but his girlfriend lied to her parents about staying the night at a friend's house. When he mentioned the job application he accidentally busted the both of them by exposing that his girlfriend was at his house the whole time.

Just cover up by explaining that she and her friend stopped in to see you on the way home!

How can you not know she gave them the old I'm staying by a friend but in reality I'm gonna go get banged by my boyfriend routine? Totally your fault.

I think he knew, but forgot that the parents didn't.