By TysonY2 - 26/01/2015 22:30 - United States - Boise

Today, I mentioned to my girlfriend that I'd sent in a job application after she went home. In front of her parents. Who thought she'd stayed the night at a friend's place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 368
You deserved it 8 873

TysonY2 tells us more.

CLARIFICATION: (Yes I am the op) Yes, she stayed the night at my house. We are both 18, and have been dating for 4 years. Her parents had been assuming we had been "fooling" around for quite some time, so they weren't really per say SHOCKED when it slipped my mind. We both live with our parents, but my mom left for the night. The reason it slipped my mind was because she was the one who told me there was an opening (she saw a sign as we were driving back from getting coffee the morning after), so to my stupid ass brain attributed her directly to applying in the first place. Her mom laughed, and her dad remained silent. Her little brother also remained silent.

Top comments

Unless you specified a time, you should've been able to play it off. It's not like you said "oh, when you left my place this morning and I was picking your panties off the chandelier, I thought maybe I could be a French maid so I sent in an application."

You're screwed AND careless. I'm assuming you knew prior to saying it that she was keeping it a secret from them.

Comments

I actually had to read this a few times. At first I thought she went to another guy's house after she left OP's house lol.

I had to reread it too! At first I thought he sent in the application in front of her parents. Don't ask me how I got that.

You can't be held responsible for another person's lies.

I'm confused. Are you also living with your parents and they're fine with your girlfriend staying over? Or maybe you are of age and live at your own place, but are dating someone underage or close to it? If you're old enough to have your own place and your girlfriend is the same age as you, I don't understand why she has to lie to her parents about her whereabouts or why it would matter once they knew where she was. Is this one of those situations where an adult is stuck with their uber religious parents and is still playing by childhood rules?

bughug1999 11

You should've played it off. You and your friend were so nice to bring me breakfast.

Seems like that's more her fault than yours, OP. Most people would've known to tell you of all people that she was supposed to be at a friend's house. Especially with you being around her parents the next day. FYL, and hers.

If either or both are underage, I say YDI because that's just wrong (in any case scenario to lie like that & be sleeping together)..if however you are both at least 18, then her parents need to get over themselves, live their own lives & stop trying to be control freaks.

Today, my boyfriend mentioned to me that he had sent in a job application after I went home. In front of my parents. Who thought I had stayed the night at a friend's place. FML

Something about how this was worded made me think she was cheating on him.. Did I miss something?

If you got that she was cheating on him from that, I think you missed everything. And added some stuff in to compensate.

Scorpio1691 29

I never suspected that at all. On the flip side. I did need to read the comments to be sure what he actually meant on his FML. There was one too many full stops which confused the whole FML.

CLARIFICATION: (Yes I am the op) Yes, she stayed the night at my house. We are both 18, and have been dating for 4 years. Her parents had been assuming we had been "fooling" around for quite some time, so they weren't really per say SHOCKED when it slipped my mind. We both live with our parents, but my mom left for the night. The reason it slipped my mind was because she was the one who told me there was an opening (she saw a sign as we were driving back from getting coffee the morning after), so to my stupid ass brain attributed her directly to applying in the first place. Her mom laughed, and her dad remained silent. Her little brother also remained silent.

Also she lied so she could come over. Her parents thought she was at her friends for the night, when really she was at my house.

JOEBOBARNOLD 15

At 18 surely the lying isn't necessary? You can legally get married and have kids. May end up with a better relationship with her parents if you're honest :)

meli1195 31

yes , because an 18 year old definitely wants to get married and have kids just si they can be honest about spending the night together. They could just be honest if their parents are OK with it, instead of going to extremes

#73 I think he meant to say that at age 18 if they can legally get married and have kids then why lie to them that there seeing each other and sleeping over

I lied about that stuff when I was 18 too. If you live with your parents and don't own your own car, they can still not let you go somewhere even if you are legally an adult. Plus it's embarrassing.

#76 is right. The legal age to have sex in most states is 18, and that's also when you become a legal adult. However, if you continue to live with parents, there are rules you must obey if you want/need to live with them. There may be childish or unfair rules which I believe is ridiculous to set, but it is their house. Unless you try to talk to them about rule changing or you move out, there's nothing you can do about it.

will_5801 13

Well... Technically she was at a friends house. Just not a normal friend