By Anonymous - 04/03/2016 14:52 - United States - Dallas

Today, I made the decision to lighten my hair from dark brown to blonde. I thought the stylist knew what she was doing, but I ended up with my hair fried off and orange. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 537
You deserved it 2 597

Same thing different taste

Top comments

aliciousness116 16

Haha that sucks. Demand for a refund. No one should pay for that

Comments

Wooow. That kind of process needs time, sounds like she tried to do it in one sitting. She should've noticed the colour change and damage on your hair while the bleach was in. I hope you at least got a refund.

is turns brassy if you dont't use a blue toner

stormstarcj 12

Your stylist sucks. And toning your hair will help. Report them to state board.

I'm guessing the OP had probably box colored her hair in the recent past. It's still the hairdressers fault though for not making sure to ask. A lot of times the box dyes can make professional color react badly.

The stylist should have explained it would take more than one bleaching session. S/he should have also mentioned that bleach WILL damage your hair. There isn't really a way around it. Olaplex helps a bit, but it will still be damaged. If your natural hair has any hint of red in it, it will definitely pull orange first. But, once again, that's something your stylist should have mentioned. Whatever you do, I don't recommend bleaching yourself. I would wait it out and find a better stylist. If you feel the need to color over it, use a color that doesn't need developer, so you're not further damaging your hair. Good luck!

To all of those saying it takes more than 1 session - I went from black to blonde in just 1. I was at the hairdresser for 6.5 hours though!

If you were there 6 and a half hours, then you obviously got multiple sessions of bleach put in your hair in one sitting. Which is NOT good at all by the way - You're supposed to colour your hair once every 4-6 weeks. So, you did get more than one session done, but just in one day...

Hello! Licensed hairdresser here. I figured I ought to comment on this. Before people jump on me, no, I did not do OP's hair. There are many variables when lightening hair, such as underlying pigmentations, previous chemicals used on the hair, what kind of chemicals were used in the hair prior to trying to lighten it, etc. For example, if you have box color in your hair, it won't guarantee having an even tone, and could possibly cause breakage (i.e. frying off heavily damaged pieces, leaving dark spots, etc.). The reasoning for this is that they use so many poor chemicals in box color, as well as metallic salts, which pretty much obliterate the hair shaft from the inside out. Another thing that can mess with your hair is Sun-in, which is used to 'naturally' lighten your hair. the thing is, it reacts catastrophically when you try to put the lightener on it, and can severely burn your hair/scalp. That all being said, the stylist should have given you a proper consultation and warned you of the consequences when you went in to get it done, and then should have done a strand test to see how your hair would react after. I am so sorry. that happened to you. The good news is that hair does grow back and you can try to repair it after cutting most of the damage off. The RepairInside shampoo and conditioner from Biolage works amazingly well, and repairs a ton of damage. I use it a lot, myself. ^^ Hopefully I made sense and was helpful. Best wishes to you, OP!

The exact same thing happened to me last year the day before prom. So sorry OP, just make sure you take extra good care of your hair since it's probably fried like mine was. After a few months I recommend getting it glazed to liven it up. Good luck OP! :)

Don't pay. Threaten to sue for bodily harm.

truuuump! haha huuuge! don't worry sweety, it grows back, and in the meantime you can maybe salvage some of it with olia(oil based coloration) ;) take care OP