By Gee - 16/06/2017 02:00

Today, I helped a stranger exchange 3,000 Argentinian pesos for US dollars through my bank. They gave him $3,000. The exchange rate is close to $195. My bank realized their mistake and now my bank account is -$2,805 expecting me to pay it back. All this happened before my recent paycheck came in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 118
You deserved it 1 883

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Which bank is this and are you fighting it? Considering they made the mistake?

Gwengreen 6

Something is missing here.... How would it be legal for an FDIC insured bank to hold you responsible?

Comments

middlenamefrank 8

You were scammed by the stranger, who is friends with the teller at the bank. You need to report it to the authorities. Hopefully you can identify the teller.

middlenamefrank 8

You were scammed by the stranger, who is friends with the teller at the bank. You need to report it to the authorities. Hopefully you can identify the teller.

FalconHawks11 3

I don't know what "Bank" would ever make this mistake, as they are required to check things like exchange rates and do some paperwork BEFORE they ever hand over that kind of money. I smell a rat with this post. And yes I have had a B of A bank make a mistake that they held me accountable for, to the point they locked me in a board room with them until I agreed to split the cost of the mistake.

you helped a stranger convert money... so you helped launder their money then?

did the bank make a mistake or did you? I think this is kind of vague.

my BS meter is off the chart. I worked in a bank. not even a rookie teller would not make that error.