By norestforthewicked - 02/03/2016 20:41 - United States

Today, I had to use a sick day from the school I teach at. While I was off, another teacher called me mid delirium, because my students were borderline rioting over the work I left for them. I'd asked them to read a book and edit the one-page essay they've had two weeks to work on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 359
You deserved it 1 720

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your students suck. You may need to get the principal or their parents involved.

camilax3 15

Sadly, students are just getting lazier and lazier each year.

Comments

I substituted for my local school district before and I approve this message. Kids are getting worse, you can give them a month to write a one page essay and it probably won't get done. I weep for the future...

I have no idea how anyone manages to stay a schoolteacher. I substituted in a 5th grade science class for ONE DAY and by noon the only reason I hadn't picked up two of the snotty little crapsacks by their ankles and beaten all of the others to death with them was that doing so would have been illegal.

KayleeFrye 39

I'm a teacher, and I don't know how I manage, either! :)

If the assignment was to read an entire book... But otherwise they're lazy assholes lol

bad_boyfriend 10

This is why I stopped teaching. The bar continually gets lower and lower. You can't really discipline kids because half the time the principal overrules you and lets the kid have another chance. If you fail too many kids you will end up losing your job, even if the grades were deserved. So in the end the lunatics end up running the asylum.

Wow. I am in sophomore year and my history teacher gives us two in class periods to write a 1.5 page paper on a topic she chooses. The only rule for her topics is that there is some test in the future that somehow related.

Unlucky1232 20

wait just 1 page? haha can i transfer to your school? wow those kids are lazy

One page essays should be perfectly fine, especially with 2 weeks to write it. Colleges will permit you to write at least 5 pages.

I personally hate reading books, when I was young I always looked up a summery about said book and write it in my own words. Either way I doubt its because of the assignment you gave them that they were rioting, it was likely because of the sub that took your place that it happened. Some people don't know how to handle kids.

This is what happened when you use a sick day when your healthy.

Pretty sure OP had to use a sick day because they were actually sick.