By norestforthewicked - 02/03/2016 20:41 - United States

Today, I had to use a sick day from the school I teach at. While I was off, another teacher called me mid delirium, because my students were borderline rioting over the work I left for them. I'd asked them to read a book and edit the one-page essay they've had two weeks to work on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 359
You deserved it 1 720

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your students suck. You may need to get the principal or their parents involved.

camilax3 15

Sadly, students are just getting lazier and lazier each year.

Comments

To be honest, my opinion depends on what kind of school OP teaches in. If he/she's a primary or secondary school teacher, then the students probably did have alot too much work. A doubt the OP had them read a whole book for the next day, because that's nigh-impossible for non-experienced readers, especially ones with little spare time (eg university students). I know in the uni I'm in we get about 20 minutes to do a one-page essay, so... Well I dunno, if OP is in higher education, then the students are dumbasses. If not... I dunno...

Anyone wondering about the substitute? While most I've had were very reasonable, there's always the one old ****** who is way too much of a hardass. I've had subs who refused to let students do work other than the quickly completed work left by the teacher (as in everyone had finished and now wanted to use the time for more than sitting), and who would start screaming at students if they chatted and report us as "unruly."

Given that the sub called the normal teacher while in a delirious state, I'm assuming the sub was simply overwhelmed at the way he/she was being treated by the students and was not, as you say, a hardass.

It sounds like late middle-early high school to me. The way I took this was that OP had asked them to edit their essay and, if they finished early, spend the rest of the class period reading a book. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me for a sub day. I honestly doubt it was the work they were acting up about. I remember students ALWAYS pushing the limits with new teachers or substitutes. I was always a quiet kid who just observed, but I remember how new substitutes had to put up with a lot of crap. There were the ones we liked and respected, but new ones were always tested and we even had a full time teacher or two who never had a handle on the class and spent the entire period just trying to be heard over us. My freshman year health teacher comes to mind. I never had a problem with him, but boy, did he hate our class. I remember one substitute couldn't even keep some of the students in the room from slipping out and full on running off. It's a natural human reaction, to be honest. Finding where someone fits in the pecking order is something we do. Doesn't make it right in our society in today's day and age, but natural instinct will always be there, especially in kids.

Students these days are a bunch of lazy pansies. Nothing in education will change until the value of education is taught at home and parents hold their children accountable for their actions whether behavioral or academic. This also includes respect for the educators and authority.

Well don't give them essays, they're useless

"... from the school I teach at." I do hope that you're not an English or literacy teacher. Anyway, FYL for not even being able to have one sick day. It's sad that a sub had to resort to calling you because they couldn't handle the class.

ONE page?!? That's NOTHING. Okay seriously your students don't know hard work at ALL. One of my professors had us reading 2 books within one week and writing a 12-15 page essay on each due the following week...all while I had 5 exams the day the essays were due.