By Anonymous - 25/09/2016 04:27 - United States - Cabot

Today, I got my dog some weight loss formula food, as she is very overweight. This new food makes her have horrible gas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 740
You deserved it 2 098

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ApeTheGreatApe 11

I have the same problem except that the dog is my grandfather. And that he's not overweight, he's just regularly gassy

Give her a few days to get used to the food, sometimes changing an animals diet can take a couple of days adjusting and terrible gas/toilet breaks. If it continues, try a different brand.

Comments

tbh you deserve it for allowing your poor dog to become overweight

It's not always the owner's fault, some dogs have bad metabolism. My dog is fed normally and exercised regularly but is still a little overweight. It's just how it is...

Problem is, the FML says the dog is 'very overweight' which means OP could've done something sooner about it whether it's got bad metabolism etc or not.

Rawrshi 25

Different breeds have different exercise and food requirements. A husky, for example, needs far less food and far more exercise than a golden retriever. Having a slightly chubby dog isn't awful and may be metabolism, but if a dog is ~very~ overweight there's a problem and it's almost exclusively the owner's fault unless someone else is feeding the dog too. It isn't cute and it can kill them or ruin their backs and joints. You're supposed to start at half or 3/4 the recommended amount of food daily (even a diet food) and keep an eye on the animal's weight. If they lose weight, add a bit more, if they gain weight you decrease the amount. Feeding whatever is on the bag exactly normally gets you an overweight animal because it's not tailored to your dog and is entirely generic on purpose. Especially if a walk is just around the block for 10-15 or even 30 minutes a day. It's like a human getting obese from eating 3 big macs a day and their only exercise is to the car to drive to McDonald's again.

It's also possible they got the dog when it was already overweight

if your dog is getting at least an hour of exercise and is still overweight, you're feeding too much. It's true that metabolism varies between dogs, that's why most food companies give a range of amounts to feed, but your dog is overweight because more energy goes in than comes out.

Ah yes I missed the very part. Great information, thank you

Tattooed_momster 14

Also do not forget some medical problems and surgical procedures dogs could have that could cause weight gain or not be able to lose weight. I have been around more then one female dog that had a litter of puppies (all more then 4) then were immediately fixed after having the litter and it left them with the baby weight that they can't get off no matter how much of a diet and exercise they've been given. Also a lot of dogs can gain weight just because of being fixed, depending on the breed.

Give her a few days to get used to the food, sometimes changing an animals diet can take a couple of days adjusting and terrible gas/toilet breaks. If it continues, try a different brand.

ApeTheGreatApe 11

I have the same problem except that the dog is my grandfather. And that he's not overweight, he's just regularly gassy

Mathalamus 24

your fault for allowing it to go overweight.

Even humans can get gassy when their bodies are getting used to a new diet. Give your dog some time to get used to it.

There is a simple solution. Less food and longer walks. It has worked with my dog.

saffy66 34

Probably gives the dog bad pains too. I'd take the advice of #7 - and add to that, make sure someone isn't sneaking treats to the dog.

Check out the Facebook group "no it's not starving - dedicated to fit healthy dogs" Lots of information there for getting your dog in shape. Good luck!

at least you know now that the stomach's working overtime

They say that if your dog is overweight, you don't get enough exercise. It's true for me, at least.