By Giraafe - 09/05/2016 17:53 - Canada - Richmond Hill

Today, I got grounded because I didn't send my aunt a Mother's Day present. Not only is she not married she doesn't have kids. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 157
You deserved it 1 234

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nonsensical 26

Ground whoever grounded you for not giving you a gift!

SilverInGray 25

Comments

Technically she can't be called a mother without kids.

Don't know what your feelings towards the Aunt are but even if you love her very very much, that does NOT make her your mother! Except if she adopted you.

Or took part in raising you as a mother would and helped shape you into the person you are. It doesn't take pushing a child through your ****** or signing a paper to make a person like a mother. I had an aunt I always gave a Mother's Day gift to. She didn't have any children, she was a social worker, but she was like a second grandmother to us and merited a gift in my eyes, same as her sister, my grandmother. My daughter is young but if she only develops half the relationship my aunt had with us with my sisters, I'll be forever grateful (already am) for my sisters. They are loving aunts and can be appreciated, too.

I'm am the only sister in my family with no children, my Nieces and Nephews don't get me anything for Mothers Day. Although I tend to spoil them, I am in no way a mother figure to them. If they did get me anything I would of course be grateful, but I would also find it strange as it is a special day between them and their Mums. They have my birthday and Christmas if they want to give me cards and presents.

In some families, the aunts can be mother figures. It was like that with my aunt, but isn't quite the same with my daughter and sisters. As of right now, they have the aunt/niece relationship. I had that and more. Heck, my aunt taught me to drive! I think whether this is and FML depends on OP'S family. But if OP felt that she didn't merit a card, maybe it's the aunt realtionship. I always wanted to give my aunt one, she was a big part of our lives.

I barely even got my mother a present. I really doubt my aunt's, grandmother's and any other mothers in my life expected anything from me.

It really depends on your relationship. I'm an aunt and don't have kids of my own but I've been helping my sister who is a single mother raise her special needs child for most of his life and get recognized on mothers day. I wouldn't expect him to be grounded if he didn't though.

dietcoke09 25

Looks like you have to give all of the single and childless women a gift then. Message me and I'll tell you what I want.

megs925 16

There are plenty of unmarried mothers out there..why was that a requirement??

my thoughts exactly, didn't know that marital status defines woman as a mother

Yeah, that part bothered me; it seemed kind of sexist to say a woman needs to be married to deserve a Mother's Day present. If anything, single moms are some of the strongest moms out there. The childless part is a perfectly acceptable reason, though. The definition of motherhood is having children or at least being a mother-figure to them. I'm the only child of three who chose to be childless but sometimes my family jokingly sends me e-cards for being a Cat Mama. It's never something I would demand, though.

I bet you didn't get any of your uncles a gift, either.

So, OP, I'm curious. Is this a new requirement in your family, or has it always been the case that your aunt has been expected to get sent a present for Mother's Day?