By MissDQ - 30/11/2013 09:07 - Australia - Perth

Today, I got accused of trying to steal clothes because I was taking so long in the fitting rooms with only a couple of items. I got stuck in one of the shirts I was trying on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 356
You deserved it 5 395

MissDQ tells us more.

OP here. Someone else pointed it out to the attendant that I'd been in there for a while and since I'm 'a kid' I MUST have been trying to steal something. The attendant just quietly asked if they could check my bags and stuff the same way they do if you leave the store without buying but have bags in your hands. I'm not big, but I do have big boobs. Some clothes go on fine but when you go to take them off they won't go over them and you start to panic. I'm a fairly standard size and I do often go one size up, but this was one of those sheer tops with the singlet underneath and those suckers don't stretch and it's hard for anyone to get them off if they're lucky enough to work out where their arms are supposed to go and can get the thing on. Heck, my mum is tiny and there's been plenty of times I've had to help her pull something over her head because she's stuck. It's not normally a store I shop at but was out with my family which I haven't done in a long time as I lived away till recently and they had a great deal, so why not ? I'm not going to sue them, there's no point ? The store didn't accuse me, some asshole who can't mind their business did. To top it off, I went through the self serve checkouts and the alarm went off as I walked out and the attendant pulled all the bras I bought out of the bag in the doorway to make sure they didn't have any of those big plastic security tags on them. I did have a DVD for another store in my bag and we put it down to that.

Top comments

Hey OP, I know how ones breasts can make a shirt made from good fabric feel like a freaking corset, so I'm sorry for you. I'm glad to hear your opinion about this, and that you know the employee just did his work by appropriately reacting to a costumer complaint regarding you without being unneccessarily offensive´or rude. Hope your new bras will live longer than a couple o' months :D

Since when is it not okay to take your time trying on clothes? You're trying them on for a reason, people need to lighten up

Comments

That stinks that you were accused of something you didn't do. That's never fun, but at least you proved you didn't.

kaitlinmc1 2

As a sales associate, I can somewhat defend both ends of the spectrum here. Our rules are that if we suspect someone of stealing or suspicious behavior we tell our team and just try to keep track of how many items they bring into the room and how many they leave with. We also have to try to remember what they took in. If we suspect them, we are supposed to confront but not accuse in the sense that we have to "play dumb". We are supposed to say something along the lines of "Oh how did that floral cardigan work out for you?" If we say the item that is missing specifically it shows them that we know what's up but we aren't directly accusing. If the customer says "oh it didn't work out" we are supposed to ask where they put it because we can't seem to find it. Typically, then they look around or they check their bag and say "oh sorry! Don't know how that got in there." Theft prevented. I work in a mall and we never check people's bags on the way out. We aren't allowed to. If a possible shoplifter does not cooperate then we discreetly call security and it's basically in their hands from there. One of the signs we are told to look out for is spending an abnormal amount of time in the dressing rooms, especially when there are only 2 or 3 items taken in. But we are supposed to also check up on customers. If things like this happen we are always more than happy to help! It's better to have a damaged shirt than cause a scene like that. So I hope that cleared a few things up for some people. However I also understand that some stores have different policies, but I can imagine that just about anywhere they aren't supposed to accuse you.

I got stuck in a prom dress last year and it took me so long to finally get off but luckily the store was pretty dead

I understand completely. I'm a 38I. I guess it's why I don't try on or buy new clothes often.

PsychoHanyo 7

getting stuck in clothes is def and issue for a lot of people OP. I tried on an old costume to see if it fit. I was home alone. I got the top on without much struggle, but when I tried to get it back off, I got stuck halfway through taking it off. I was worried because I was home alone but I struggled with it for a bit and it finally came off. at least they didn't make it a huge deal like a lot of places do!