By angelsaredicks - 11/09/2015 13:55 - United States - Morgantown

Today, I gave blood for the first time, since I'm a universal donor. After it was done, I passed out, woke up, puked, and passed out again. The kind nurses told me I was the worst case they had seen all week. So much for doing something to help others. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 998
You deserved it 2 098

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AirBusDriver 23

While your experience was unpleasant your gift of life is admirable. Thank you OP

Unfortunately it happens, OP. I passed out the first time I have blood. Next time, try sipping some juice or water while you're donating. That normally helps me!

Comments

You miss, are awesome. Keep in mind that you may have saved someone's life, and maybe you'll feel motivated to donate more. I always wanted to donate blood, but the thought of a needle in my arm for one hour scares me. Well, maybe I'll have the guts some day. Congratulations!

It's only about 15-20 minutes. Passes rather quickly, actually.

Good to know, I always thought it was one hour :p But I'm pretty sure I would pass out. How much blood did you donate?

One bag. I THINK it's a pint, but I'm not 100% sure. I gave them the most I could haha.

Eat a huge rare-to-medium steak with spinach the night before for extra iron and drink something sweet during the procedure. :)

I've frequently donated blood. the only time it took me longer than 10 min was when I was doing a special double red donation. it's pretty rewarding to know that you've helped save lives.

My mom was going to donate her blood, but she has really low iron and the doctor told her not to donate because "not even a vampire would want your blood."

I think one pint (450 ml) is the standard amount of blood they take. When I wanted to donate, they didn't let me, because my blood pressure was too low and they said I might pass out. They said if I try again I should drink some coffee that morning.

skyttlz 32

I donated once a few years ago. I had a bad reaction afterward so I haven't done it since but it would be great to do again once I gain a little more weight. At the time I weighed 110 pounds which was the minimum, and I found out the next time there was a blood drive they changed the minimum to 117. My eyes were sunken in, I was extremely pale and weak and was getting dizzy spells for several days after.

You still did something really selfless OP! Over here they say that 1 donation can save 3 lives. Also, the universal blood donations are usually put in ambulances for emergency patients. :)

that is an awful first experience!! but the donation is super important for people who need blood expecially if you're a universal donor so good job!!

Good on you for doing such a great thing OP!

Xandrick 22

I see 89 assholes who YDI'd the OP... This OP who was selfless enough to give blood for those who might one day be in need. To those who YDI'd OP I have this to say: ****. You.

Lol the vast majority who select YDI on any given FML don't actually believe it - they're just doing it for the stats so they can get achievements. ;) No, I'm not one of them.

While your blood type is very helpful, it is of more importance to keep donors safe. I'm a donor myself and I nearly pass out every time (even though I only actually did the first time). It may sound terrible, but it isn't for everyone. I'm probably going to stop donating but continue to help in other ways, as I suggest you consider.

PANDORUM89 21

that's how I was when I gave blood. the nurses asked me multiple times to give blood because I am a universal donor as well. needless to say I havent done it since!

dont let it stop you op. ask for the Alex machine. it takes 2 units of red blood cells and sends the rest back into your body with some saline. it's less stressed because you come out more hydrated than donating whole blood and you save more lives because they need more red blood. I found out I was an o- and I always try try to go for it.

ChadHelton 8

depends on *why* OP passed out.. if he passed out because he's scared, this is the worst thing he could do. Just because it takes so long. #29, you're a good man (woman?) Charlie Brown :)