By Anonymous - 28/02/2013 07:19 - United States - Portland

Today, I found that someone had paid off my $16,500 student loan. I was so excited that I called my family and posted on Facebook about how awesome it was. Then I called the loan company and found out that they had just sold my loan to another company; no one had actually paid it off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 484
You deserved it 14 194

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is.

I think I would have called and confirmed with the company that the loans had been payed off before getting too excited OP. You kind of set yourself up for disappointment.

Comments

Unlike car keys, cell phones, and socks, student loans don't magically disappear. That and you are notified when the loan is sold to a new servicer.

Same thing happened to me. I spent a beautiful hour imagining I had a mysterious benefactor who loved me, then I called the company to find out what really happened. The next day I got the notification letter in the mail.

come to denmark. getting educated is free here, well actually the government pay you to study. we're all a bunch of stupid smart commies.

fksfsdhfsdfh 26
Satoaoi 13
Satoaoi 13

why is college so ******* expensive.

Happened to me too. Except my first thought was I hope they're not trying to get THAT out of my bank account.

Just an idea.... If you can put money away into some sort of RRSP or other government initiative, take your government rebate and apply it directly to your loan. The RRSP saves money for the long term. The loan payments along with your lump sum payments cuts down your repayment period. You effectively kill two birds with one stone. Note: this will not work for everyone. If you think RRSPs are stupid or have no money to put away. Please ignore this post.

Oh, in my case I went to make a payment but was told I didn't have an account anymore and called the number to find out they sold my loan and to wait for a bill from new company. Okay. So when I do get a bill, I have a late charge??? So yeah, thankfully when I called new company to tell them this was my first bill since they bought my loan and THAT was why my monthly payment was late they took it off. Good lords...

You're joking right? The best paid professors are in law school and they top out at $150.000 annual salary. Whoever told you they were making 250k as a professor was bs'ing you.