By UHLSucksSTL - 06/10/2016 15:50 - United States - Saint Louis

Today, I found out that I spent 3 whole days cleaning my apartment thoroughly and paid $100 to get my carpet professional cleaned to not get my $950 deposit back because the carpet smells like dog. I don't have a dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 295
You deserved it 760

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They are keeping the WHOLE deposit because of the carpet? I'd check the fair housing/rental guidelines for your state to see if they can do that legally. In California, they can only keep enough of the deposit to fix whatever you messed up. For instance: if they have to spend $200 on a heavy duty carpet cleaning company with special deodorizing treatments, they would keep that amount and you'd get $750 back.

By the process of elimination, you, my friend, must smell like a dog.

Comments

They just want your money. If you have a receipt showing proof that the carpets have been cleaned then they can't charge you for it. Then again once that's settled they'll probably just find another lame excuse to charge you

They just want your money. If you have a receipt showing proof that the carpets have been cleaned then they can't charge you for it. Then again once that's settled they'll probably just find another lame excuse to charge you.

I'd go to your housing tribunal and dispute that.

I worked my ass off cleaning the last (forever, thank god) place that we rented and they still hardly gave us anything back. Oh sorry, the grass grew after we moved out? Well guess what, grass grows! Assholes.

redlizzybeth 25

If that is their only claim and you have photos and a receipt then you can take them to court and force them to return it. A smell is not provable and as many have said, to need to clean the carpet after a year is considered normal wear and tear. There are so many people who don't realize how much apartments fight to keep the deposit on things that should not be an issue. New paint, a little cleaning, carpets getting cleaned and or done is not something they should be charging for.

tounces7 27

See, this is why I don't even ******* bother cleaning. They can keep the damn deposit and clean up the shit themselves, because pretty much EVERY Landlord does whatever they can to keep the deposit. It's not even a Deposit to most landlords, it's more like a fee, and they spend that shit the moment they get it.

ashyash90 8

If you don't have a dog and it reeks in your apartment so bad that they think you do....you've got bigger problems

I Hope you're smart enough to know your rights and fight for them!

Landlords try that shit all the time. Anything to get more money.

Not that you want to but that is something I would be taking legal action on.