By Anonymous - 18/03/2014 14:56 - Japan

Today, I found out my ex just got engaged to a girl he met 3 months ago, shortly before he ended our 5 year relationship. His reason for breaking up was that he didn't believe in marriage and couldn't be with someone who wanted to get married. Right. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 774
You deserved it 4 056

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I see this as a good thing because you almost married him.

ariiewilliams 17

What an ass. At least you ended ot so you wouldn't have to be with someone so two-faced

Comments

Maybe you weren't his one... Ever think about that?

I feel your pain. My husband left me because he decided he didn't want kids. Now he's with someone new and has a child .....

If you were together 5 years and he didn't want to get married, YDI for expecting that to change. I've come to find that men that say they don't want to get married mean it in regards to the woman they are with. Once the right person comes along, seems as though most people are willing to finally settle. I feel like you just weren't "The One" for him.

I agree with others that it's best he's gone. However, if one wants to get married, and one's partner doesn't, don't stay in that relationship for FIVE YEARS! It's not about bad or good, who's right or who's wrong. It's not a good match.

YLS, but I can't help but empathise with the guy. If he wanted to be with this girl and not you, that's his choice. I was with my ex for three years and he's a lovely guy, but after a while just didn't feel like he was the kind of person I could commit to in the long run. I tried to soften the blow by telling him that I couldn't be in a relationship while at university. I have another boyfriend now. IMO that doesn't make me - or your ex - a bad person: why stay with someone that you don't want to be with any more Nobody should feel obliged to stay in a relationship, ever, no matter how long it's been.

While I agree that OP’s bf shouldn’t have stayed with her just because he felt obliged, I think their situation is different from yours. You broke up with your bf because you realized there was no future for the two of you, not because you already had a replacement guy in mind. However, the bf in the FML met the other girl before he broke up with his gf and got engaged within 3 months of meeting her. Unlike you, he knew before ending his current relationship that a new & serious one would start immediately after. If he knew he’d be entering a relationship serious enough for marriage within 3 months, he should NOT have used “I don’t believe in marriage” as an excuse. It shows he was spouting complete bullshit, and unlike how your excuse “softened the blow” his probably only added salt to the wound! He should have had the decency to find a better and truer excuse to tell someone he had spent 5 years with.

That's a fair point, but there's no evidence that he already had the new girl in mind when he broke up with OP. Maybe he didn't want to be with her any more, but then later realised he really liked this other girl?

Krissey_DJ 16

When people say that, it means they don't want to marry/date YOU, not everyone

Thats depressing, now youre back to sqaure one

Guys say that to avoid dealing with the truth. It sounds like he just didn't want to marry you

winimy 8

He should have been a man and told you he didn't want to marry you instead of he didn't want marriage at all.

Just sit in the last row and when he sees you, smirk at him, flip the bird, and walk out like nothing happened.