By DumbDinosaur - 09/03/2009 15:01 - United States

Today, I decided to do a load of laundry. Two minutes into the cycle, I realized that I left my iPod in my sweatpants pocket. The washing machine door locks automatically and cannot be opened until the 40-minute cycle is up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 358
You deserved it 52 314

DumbDinosaur tells us more.

DumbDinosaur 0

The machine was in my dorm building and was your generic industrial washer - no OFF switch, no fancy doors, etc. Once the cycle's on, it's on for the duration. Since it was linked up to 9 other machines, had I pulled the plug, I would've not only flooded out the laundry room but would have had 9 very unhappy residents on my back..heh. Oh, and never mind the happy ending - the iPod never bounced back to life. Serves me right, I guess.

Top comments

if you turn the cycle or machine off the door unlocks. You can then turn it back on and keep washing your clothes.

That's why you always check your pants pockets to make sure they're empty before you throw them in the wash.

Comments

If this wasn't at the OP's house, it might be harder to turn off. The washing machine's at my apartment don't have a dial to turn it off.

AntiqueTurquiose 0

try putting it in a bowl of dry rice. that works for phones with water damage.

The rice will attract Asians who will fix your iPod.

i don't know if you can, but with my washer i can easily unplug it lol

OUCH. Ours does that since it's a front-loader, but I've never left anything in the pants pocket. (Nothing important anyway.)

MCart_fml 0

If it's a nano you're probably OK, let it dry for two weeks (no less than 2 weeks) before you plug it in or use it at all and it will be fine. I did that once and thought it got stolen or left somewhere, found it in a pair of jeans a month later, charged it up and reset it through itunes and it still works to this day. If it's got a hard drive in it you're life is ******, and you deserve it just like I did ;)

HANGtheFREAK 0

Good job. SUCKS for you, check your pockets much?

I don't think you guys realize how easy it is to do this.

What you do is you turn it off, then when the door still doesn't open you get a knife and push against the thing locking the dor in place.

don't worry man, ipods are water proof.