By DumbDinosaur - 09/03/2009 15:01 - United States

Today, I decided to do a load of laundry. Two minutes into the cycle, I realized that I left my iPod in my sweatpants pocket. The washing machine door locks automatically and cannot be opened until the 40-minute cycle is up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 358
You deserved it 52 314

DumbDinosaur tells us more.

DumbDinosaur 0

The machine was in my dorm building and was your generic industrial washer - no OFF switch, no fancy doors, etc. Once the cycle's on, it's on for the duration. Since it was linked up to 9 other machines, had I pulled the plug, I would've not only flooded out the laundry room but would have had 9 very unhappy residents on my back..heh. Oh, and never mind the happy ending - the iPod never bounced back to life. Serves me right, I guess.

Top comments

if you turn the cycle or machine off the door unlocks. You can then turn it back on and keep washing your clothes.

That's why you always check your pants pockets to make sure they're empty before you throw them in the wash.

Comments

I would unplug right away. heck, I always forget my changes or bills in my pocket. In the end, they were still there so I can still use that. :)

That sucksss, I've washed my house phone and my dads cell phone. Definitely let it dry out before you do anything. Gooood luck dude.

hurrdurr 0

This is what you get for being a puppet of a consumerist society.

that sucks. i hope it wont happen again.

well done, its a lesson learned at why your mum usually checks the pockets

c8oakes 0

I almost did this to my watch once at a laundromat. However if you had found the cord for your machine you could have unplugged it and that would have let you open the door. I saved my watch in this process.

Put it in the bowl of rice or silica gel. Don't power it on.

stick it in some uncooked rice. worked for me !

same thing happened to my friend. put it in a bowl and cover it completely in dry rice for a few days. then charge it fully and turn it on. Should work!! :)