By DumbDinosaur - 09/03/2009 15:01 - United States

Today, I decided to do a load of laundry. Two minutes into the cycle, I realized that I left my iPod in my sweatpants pocket. The washing machine door locks automatically and cannot be opened until the 40-minute cycle is up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 358
You deserved it 52 314

DumbDinosaur tells us more.

DumbDinosaur 0

The machine was in my dorm building and was your generic industrial washer - no OFF switch, no fancy doors, etc. Once the cycle's on, it's on for the duration. Since it was linked up to 9 other machines, had I pulled the plug, I would've not only flooded out the laundry room but would have had 9 very unhappy residents on my back..heh. Oh, and never mind the happy ending - the iPod never bounced back to life. Serves me right, I guess.

Top comments

if you turn the cycle or machine off the door unlocks. You can then turn it back on and keep washing your clothes.

That's why you always check your pants pockets to make sure they're empty before you throw them in the wash.

Comments

I did that once. And let me tell you, Apple will not fix it. Good luck buying another.

oh man, that sucks! I've lost lip balms in the wash but never ipods. and guys, let up will ya? everyone makes mistakes.

I'm kind of fifty fifty on this. Mainly because I've done it with my cellphone. And because generally I check my pockets at all times because I have this fckin' huge ass wallet that I take with me. But damn that sucks, iPods are expensive, but durable as hell. It'll be fine. Word for the wise, be sure you go through your pockets. If you leave some kind of paper in there, expect to see the remains all over your darkest clothing. It's like bad karma.

did anyone else read this and not believe it for a second?! washing machines arent more powerful thatn man, you can just UNPLUG it and it stops.....

foryoublue94 0

I put my iPod in my jacket pocket XD and barely wash it and I check my pockets before I take off my pants!! try doing that and you won't forget

#22 Ipods are not waterproof! I know I work for their tech support :) Leave it off for a couple days and try the bowl of rice trick if that doesn't work you're screwed. Warranty is now voided ( if it wasn't already that is.)

ouch! my ipod is my baby so i know how you feel

yeahreally 6

that happened to my old roommate! ughhh that suckssss!

OMFG lol whenever i read stories about iPods getting loost or broken it bothers me SOOO much xD i dunno why. Anyway, about yours, I hope everything goes well. ;0

Dont worry i have washed both my ipods... just let them dry out for a day or two and they should work! it took my new one a few days for the water to drain out of the screen tho but it works just like normal.... put it in dry rice!