By DumbDinosaur - 09/03/2009 15:01 - United States

Today, I decided to do a load of laundry. Two minutes into the cycle, I realized that I left my iPod in my sweatpants pocket. The washing machine door locks automatically and cannot be opened until the 40-minute cycle is up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 358
You deserved it 52 314

DumbDinosaur tells us more.

DumbDinosaur 0

The machine was in my dorm building and was your generic industrial washer - no OFF switch, no fancy doors, etc. Once the cycle's on, it's on for the duration. Since it was linked up to 9 other machines, had I pulled the plug, I would've not only flooded out the laundry room but would have had 9 very unhappy residents on my back..heh. Oh, and never mind the happy ending - the iPod never bounced back to life. Serves me right, I guess.

Top comments

if you turn the cycle or machine off the door unlocks. You can then turn it back on and keep washing your clothes.

That's why you always check your pants pockets to make sure they're empty before you throw them in the wash.

Comments

Who the heck buys a washer that locks? Isn't that against safety regulations?

Let it dry out and then send it to Apple. Same exact thing happened to me and now I have a shiny new iPod Nano.

ummm, probably should hav unplugged it :)

theres usually a cancel button, you know if not, pull the plug.

The #1 rule of doing laundry? CHECK THE POCKETS. Although if it was a newer iPod, it'll probably work after some drying out.

BrendanMA 0

it'll be fine, ive washed mine three times.....

Windowfield 0

Ah yes, happened to me as well. The next day I did the same thing with my cell.

DumbDinosaur 0

The machine was in my dorm building and was your generic industrial washer - no OFF switch, no fancy doors, etc. Once the cycle's on, it's on for the duration. Since it was linked up to 9 other machines, had I pulled the plug, I would've not only flooded out the laundry room but would have had 9 very unhappy residents on my back..heh. Oh, and never mind the happy ending - the iPod never bounced back to life. Serves me right, I guess.

Yeah I would've pulled the plug. "Sorry it's an expensive iPod", would be more than enough for your neighbours.

sarcasticjane 27

I would still be upset. I do not care if it was the most expensive iPod ever; take care of your possessions and this problem would not happen. Pulling the plug means you are messing with other people's possessions at that point. I think OP did the best she could in the situation. She did it to herself due to not checking her pockets, but did not involve other people into her problem by unplugging the machines.

I wanna see the FML after this where he or she realizes they could have opened up the door. There's always a cancel button. Sucks though. I feel your pain. My iPod is possessed right now, and might as well as be swimming with the fishes...

Do you read? Try it with the comment right above yours