By Sonata90 - 20/12/2015 06:36 - Canada - Lewisporte

Today, I bought a PS4 online for my boyfriend's birthday. I put it on our joint credit card through Paypal to keep it a surprise. The company decided to ruin that surprise when they called him to confirm the transaction. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 904
You deserved it 6 550

Sonata90 tells us more.

OP here, just wanted to expand on this to answer some questions. Both bank and credit cards are joint for us— the act of bringing in the income and shopping for the “perfect” gift is what we consider the act of gifting within our relationship. The price on the credit card bill was not the factor that would have ruined the surprise as it was planned to show as a paypal purchase and he already knew I had bought him a gift; the surprise was in knowing what the gift actually was. Customer service, on the other hand, doesn't usually call anyone to confirm purchases—I have purchased far more expensive things without receiving a call before. I just got unlucky this time I guess! His surprise came in early and he was still happy. For those wondering why we have joint accounts while dating; we’ve been together for six years as common-law partners and our relationship is built on trust and honesty. He got a gamer girlfriend but I got lucky with a good man!

Top comments

Wouldn't he check a joint credit card for charges? I think he'd be suspicious about a $300+ charge.

At least he has a girlfriend who doesn't hate that he likes to play video games :)

Comments

sporty061200r 8

If he really wanted a ps4 and was a "gamer" he would have bought it a long time ago, hell a ps4 has only been out for almost 2 years now. especially if he had the funds available on a card...

He also games on computer. He did have a PS3 that died not too long ago.

MzZombicidal 36

I'm a gamer and I'm only just now getting a PS4. People can have a lack of funds and still very much enjoy video games, especially when they can afford them. You don't know their situation. He could be like my boyfriend, who hates spending money on himself. Who knows?

I'm a gamer and I have absolutely no interest in a PS4, but I wouldn't mind if someone else would get it for me (even though I can think of better gifts).

the_taken_queen 4

You have a joint account with your boyfriend?

is it really a present if he paid for it?

MzZombicidal 36

Oh you poor baby. First world problems honey, there are bigger things to think about

It's not a present if you're both paying for it...

If you have 100% combined finances, there isn't really a way to 'pay for it yourself'. My fiancé and I have one account and one credit card. It's a present because you went out and chose something that shows thought and consideration for the other person. That is what makes something a gift...thought, not money.

Thank you! This is exactly my situation.

It's not actually a present if he unwillingly pays half of it, you know.

Are you retarded? A joint credit card, that he has access to? I mean nice gift And all, but next time just tell him what you got him. Duh.