By Sonata90 - 20/12/2015 06:36 - Canada - Lewisporte

Today, I bought a PS4 online for my boyfriend's birthday. I put it on our joint credit card through Paypal to keep it a surprise. The company decided to ruin that surprise when they called him to confirm the transaction. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 904
You deserved it 6 550

Sonata90 tells us more.

OP here, just wanted to expand on this to answer some questions. Both bank and credit cards are joint for us— the act of bringing in the income and shopping for the “perfect” gift is what we consider the act of gifting within our relationship. The price on the credit card bill was not the factor that would have ruined the surprise as it was planned to show as a paypal purchase and he already knew I had bought him a gift; the surprise was in knowing what the gift actually was. Customer service, on the other hand, doesn't usually call anyone to confirm purchases—I have purchased far more expensive things without receiving a call before. I just got unlucky this time I guess! His surprise came in early and he was still happy. For those wondering why we have joint accounts while dating; we’ve been together for six years as common-law partners and our relationship is built on trust and honesty. He got a gamer girlfriend but I got lucky with a good man!

Top comments

Wouldn't he check a joint credit card for charges? I think he'd be suspicious about a $300+ charge.

At least he has a girlfriend who doesn't hate that he likes to play video games :)

Comments

If you have a joint credit card, doesn't that mean, that he kinda paid for his present, as well? Next time buy presents with only your own money, with your own card.

Not necessarily. She could've just used the card to pay for it then deposited money from her bank account on the card to cover the full cost. That's how my boyfriend and I do plane tickets. Nevertheless it was still a dumb idea to use the joint card just for the fact that he could obviously find out

Do you have Blonde Hair?? Seriously though, if you wanted to keep it a surprise, why use a Joint Credit Card??...

Why do you have a joint credit card if he's just a boyfriend?

I see this question a lot. We are considered common-law and he is sponsoring me as a permanent resident here in Canada. So it helps our case if we have joint accounts. We've also been together for years and share pretty much anything-- we have zero trust issues so it makes sense for us. We plan to get married eventually but weddings are pretty expensive, so we're saving up. We both just get our paychecks direct-deposit into the same account so it works well for us.

Been there, husband and I were similar when we were getting ready for me to move to Ireland. We didn't wait to get married though, we just had a very small one with help from his family.

PayPal has account alerts that notify users of every single transaction. I personally get texts every time I get/pay money. It's an awesome safety feature. Now you know for next time.

Yes but he wouldn't get the paypal email, I would.

OP here, just wanted to expand on this to answer some questions. Both bank and credit cards are joint for us— the act of bringing in the income and shopping for the “perfect” gift is what we consider the act of gifting within our relationship. The price on the credit card bill was not the factor that would have ruined the surprise as it was planned to show as a paypal purchase and he already knew I had bought him a gift; the surprise was in knowing what the gift actually was. Customer service, on the other hand, doesn't usually call anyone to confirm purchases—I have purchased far more expensive things without receiving a call before. I just got unlucky this time I guess! His surprise came in early and he was still happy. For those wondering why we have joint accounts while dating; we’ve been together for six years as common-law partners and our relationship is built on trust and honesty. He got a gamer girlfriend but I got lucky with a good man!

Year and a half with my husband and we actually constantly look for two player games. Currently taking turns with fallout 4, which was his birthday present :D

cheshireau 26

You found your player 2, that's awesome!

amberdea404 28

I was with my boyfriend for four years, we always gamed together, he cheated on me with a girl he found on call of duty. Gaming together and the amount of years really means nothing. Always keep your accounts separate, you never know what will happen.

zeffra13 31

It's bad to not check your credit card until you know you used it. People can skim your cards at the swipe machines at checkout and print up copies to sell - all with your card still in your wallet. I lost $900 in 3 days that way before my bank disabled my card, plus they didn't tell me so I had to be declined somewhere before I found out what happened so I could submit a fraud report and they would start investigating. Sucks. Always check your statement regularly so you can report suspicious charges! The bank'll only give your money back if they find proof, and cameras only keep footage so far back.

gczizza1997 15

My boyfriend bought my an Xbox One for Christmas. At our Christmas party with our friends this past weekend he had my battle eight people in Pokemon Y on my 2DS to earn gym badges he bought. Once I earned them he let me wrap the gift early. We have been non stop switching between my XO and his ps4.

well at least he still gets it, also, joint account probably wasnt the best idea

You're not the brightest person going around are you? It's a joint card, how is using that going to keep it a surprise?

snowbunnie408 11

bought my bf a ps4 for Christmas using his target card cuz its a bigger discount. I'm of course paying the bill myself but hes happy to get it even if he knows about it already