By guest - 19/06/2014 01:14 - United States - Agoura Hills

Today, I became the town racist for saying "black" instead of "African-American". I'm black. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 764
You deserved it 5 560

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Marcella1016 31

Where the hell do you live?? It's the same thing...

that's just stupid, if you are born here, YOU are not "African-American", you're american. you'd be considered american with african ancestry. people these days want to label everything.

Comments

1dvs_bstd 41

Oh mai God, OP, you can't just go around calling yourself and people 'black'... seriously tho, not being racist is the new racism.

What's that saying? "Three steps forward, four steps back." (Sigh).

The thought police are at work here. Black is your color, it is not a racist term.

This is political correctness gone mad...

in all honesty hun, I see it like this. the world is full of ignorant people who really don't care about racism as much as they pretend to. your situation is a perfect example. I doubt those people really cared at all how you said it, only that there was an opportunity to make you look like a jerk. it speaks for their cruel lack of concern that people are racist. my advice to you is to stay away from people like that... they will only drag you down if you let them stick around.

I don't know if they wanted to make OP look like a jerk so much as they wanted to make themselves look better. I noticed that the people who get all holier than thou on the word "black" often are trying to hide their own racism. It's a cover as in "Oh look at me, I'm getting offended at a racist word, I'm not a racist!" It might be because I'm not American, but the term "African-American" sounds more derogartory to me. It's more exclusive. Besides, not all black people are Americans. There is nothing more ridiculous than to hear an overly PC person call a black English guy "African American" haha.

Honestly, PC is racist. The more emphasis on race leads to more distinctions based on race. Distinctions based on superficial criteria, like race, creates inequality. So unless anyone wants to say your race makes you different (which no one will) then I don't know why ANYTHING to do with race matters. And this whole culture diversification action fad, masquerading as the new affirmative action, is also hugely racist. To make any assumption between culture and race is, by definition, racist. Am I the only one who notices this?.

Check out the news in Vancouver yesterday where schools can now use 'xe' instead of 'he' or 'she' as it's gender-unbiased....

It might be me, but I fail to see how that's relevant to this FML.

Siettadulce 21

I agree with #1, I've never heard of that happening before. They mean the same thing.

In the UK we say black and white and everyone's fine with that.

oKap1 15

Some people are way to over sensitive! If you have to call black people African American, then you should call white people Caucasian.