By don't pray, PAY - 23/03/2017 20:00

Today, I attended a Buddhist prayer service for my religion and philosophy course. When the service was over, everyone stood up. Unfortunately, my legs and feet had fallen asleep so much that I lost balance and tackled a monk into the shrine. I'm expected to pay for injuries and damages. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 397
You deserved it 1 281

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WeirdUS 29

Even if it was an accident in many cases if it causes significant damage you are still going to be expected to pay. The notion of I didn't mean to so I don't have to pay doesn't work.

Maybe these weren't thought monks. They could be standard monks.

Comments

They have a lot of nirvana asking you to pay for an obvious accident.

Maybe these weren't thought monks. They could be standard monks.

The monastery needs money for its upkeep. The monks themselves won't get a penny. The monastery will have a business bank account.

WeirdUS 29

Even if it was an accident in many cases if it causes significant damage you are still going to be expected to pay. The notion of I didn't mean to so I don't have to pay doesn't work.

happened to me except it was into an old woman giving a presentation about her job at NASA

That is the funniest thing I've read all week! Thank You :) ... Except the bit about having to pay for the damages - that's just monkey-business...

Well, now you have a unique experience with Buddhists. Very rare if not unique. I have never heard of Buddhist monks asking for damages and injury costs. Were they monks or just regular visitors? Maybe you tackled a classmate.

Kaalschneid 21

Next time, get your land legs before moving after a meditation/prayer. And stay near a wall or chair to help you up. I honestly don't see how this happened, but hopefully you learned something. I'd be surprised if Buddhists were going to go after you for money... Not really our thing.

It sucks that it happened but these are still things that have to be paid for even if it was an accident.

tease_ftx 8

No one says "I know you didn't mean to do it, so I'll be happy to pay for my own medical bills and eat the thousands of dollars in damage you just caused."

Insurance is usually carried for these types of situations. The insurance helps out since it was an accident

isaacmok 3