By nothesisforme - 11/03/2015 14:01 - France

Today, I asked my professor for his opinion on the subject I plan to study in my thesis. Turns out, he likes it so much that he's going to steal it from me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 981
You deserved it 2 953

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't have anything witty to say, that just sucks. I'd report him to the higher-ups.

bethers_ 22

This happened to my roommate when she started her PhD! It took her an extra 8 months to find another lab after the experience. You need to report that professor for stealing your idea. Don't let the same thing happen to you.

Comments

Report him.... It's better than doing nothing.

Better to have an open, uncomfortable with the professor first. This might be a misunderstanding.

That sucks OP, please receive the wise words of this community and report him, hope it all goes well for you.

That's terrible for OP... But the way french universities work, there is no way he (or she) will get any form of justice. Administrative procedures are long, heavy, requieres rock solid evidence and in the end he may not even find another professor in his field willing to direct the thesis. Which his current professor is probably perfectly aware of. Good luck anyway, whether you try the battle or start looking for a new topic...

knoxxx 22

Unfortunately OP has no right to prevent that professor from using that idea unless you have a patent on it. It's not your intellectual property without one. If you know anything about intellectual property, you know never to disclose your ideas or projects without a patent if you don't want other people to use it.

You have an obligation to disclose your subject to your thesis director. He must approve it and he will be the one to allow you, at the end of your research, to submit it to a jury.

You can still use it for your thesis, can't you? And if it's better than your professors you will have your sweet revenge.

SystemofaBlink41 27

The professor is probably a member of her thesis advisory committee. The professor has to know about her research.

Intellectual property, you can actually sue for that

Tell your professor that this is your thesis, but you'd be happy to collaborate on a journal article afterwards. Certainly he has other research he can do in the meantime.

He needs to be reported to your advisor, and if he's your advisor, report him to the department head, and so on. That is unethical and a gross misuse of his position as your professor. If you, as a student, were to do the same thing, your would punishment would range from failing the class to being kicked out of your school for violating academic honesty policy. But most of all, report him, because that's straight up bullshit.