By Anonymous - 02/10/2009 04:46 - United States

Today, I applied for college graduation. Turns out my advisor screwed me over and now I'm 1 credit hour short of getting my degree. Now I have to wait another semester and pay $3,500 just to take a one hour class on Bowling so that I can graduate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 794
You deserved it 6 181

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jchansfan 0

That sounds rather fake. 3,500$ for Bowling? Why would you even need a class on Bowling for college? Now that the serious part is out of the way... With only one class I guess you'll have a lot of SPARES. :P Maybe you should protest it and start a student STRIKE. :P Well, looks like that's another 3, 500$ in the GUTTER! :D

wow. i wouldnt do that. i would tell them its just an hour credit and try to work it out. try to talk to the people and get help. but that sucks.

Comments

wow_wow_we_wow 0

Hey,try and pick it up in a mini session this semester. Our mini sessions start Oct.19th. Does it have to be bowling or just a phys. ed? Lots of schools offer life guarding...if you can swim. If that doesn't work, just sign up for the one hour class, and work for the semester. If you don't want to pay the extra rent try taking a class online or something! Good luck and happy trails!

boohooo you can't graduate on time. That's why you follow your own schedule and not rely on some lame ass college advisor.

fxdxhk90 0

All the people saying "why are you taking bowling" have never beem to college. He is taking it because that is the easy way to get 1 credit, instead of taking a real course.

In MY country (thus channeling the voice of Yakov Smirnov), you get into college based on the grades you recieved in subjects that actually have something to do with the course you're going to study. I don't think I'll ever understand this accrual of credits. Especially when you can get them for wearing different shoes and lobbing marble down a polished hall.

"In MY country (thus channeling the voice of Yakov Smirnov), you get into college based on the grades you recieved in subjects that actually have something to do with the course you're going to study." Lucky bastard. I've always hated America's school system because they don't let you concentrate on things relevant to what you want.

capthavoc123 0

This is your advisor's fault? How the hell is it not your fault? Do you rely on your advisor to wipe your ass, too?

kaleid0scopeEyes 0

shut up high schooler, an advisor is very important in college. its cute that you are trying to look like a little badass, though. go steal someone's lunch money instead.

Advisors may be important to college but the individual student gets to decide what he/she is taking and figure out his/her schedule. Your advisor doesn't regulate your classes, just makes suggestions and recommendations. Ultimately, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure you've gotten everything covered.

Hunnibum 0

People, bitching about how this person relied on an advisor is like bitching about a person relying on a PLUMBER to PLUMB. IF the plumber makes your sink leakier than before, you would bitch, right? why? He wasn't doing his job right. Why are advisors exempt?

Amphysvena 11

because you shouldn't rely 100% on your advisor to do everything for you. plus, if nothing else, you should know how many credit you've taken if you are paying any attention at all to how many credits each one is worth. yes, the advisor is there to help, but you still need to rely on yourself. especially in college.

I agree 100% that you can't rely on the advisers, ALWAYS double check and ALWAYS do the course credit math yourself, if in doubt talk to the admissions department because they are the ones who will look over your sheet, not the adviser. One thing that saved my friend was to get the adviser to sign the work sheet, the admissions dept approved exit based on the fact a mistake was signed off on. Good luck!

word. The OP should've been keeping tabs on his credits. Seriously, you can depend on your Advisor for somethings, but they can't be held accountable because you didn't get your butt in gear and actually track how many more credits you had left. Advisors have a ton of people to keep track of, especially at public universities, you can't expect them to baby you. I only see my advisor like twice a year because it's easier to keep track of my own stuff.

Really? I suppose it's possible if he's going to an IVY League school, but if that were true, shouldn't he be smart enough to check his classes and requirements so this won't happen? PS- this was supposed to be in reply to #62

college advisors dont do shit for anyone but themselves so u shut the **** up bitch

Are you sure you didn't lift this from Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if. . ." routine? What kind of curriculum has a Bowling requirement? I'm sure life will be all roses since you did so well in your other courses, NASCAR in Literature, Deep-Fryin' Food 'n Shit, Crystal Meth Manufacturing and the Myth of Dental Hygiene.

lem0n_fml 0

As amazing as your post was, plex, no where does it say that bowling was a requirement. He never said he was one credit short for his MAJOR. Perhaps he just needs one credit in general and figured bowling was the easiest way to go.

It's just an assumption that is comically absurd, so I went and made it for your entertainment. Lighten up and enjoy it. As far as bowling being easy is concerned, I disagree. Do you know how hard it is to haul around 14-pound balls? I do it every day and it ain't no picnic.

Hi, wilshires1, you're back! Did any of those nicknames work out? I still like Joan Rivers.

Too many people, myself included, learn this the hard way. Do not trust your advisor. Keep track of it yourself.

At most colleges you can add a course at any time during the semester, so you should be able to pick up something now. And if you don't care what course you take, you can always just take a course Pass/Fail. If not, you should be able to take an online course next semester so that you pay for that course alone instead of enrolling again. Or you can stay at your university and take a course, but only pay for that single course. Or you can take the course at a community college and transfer the credit to your university.

unfortunately you can't always transfer credit from a community college when you're that close to graduating. I know at my university I'm not allowed to take classes at community college because I have more than 70 credit hours. As for online courses, if the OP goes this route they need to make sure they're taking an online course that doesn't require them to be on campus for exams - the online computer class (required, btw) at my college requires that students be on campus for exams, which is so missing the point of online classes....but anyway. OP, I feel your pain, one of my professors is being a bitch and thanks to them I have to take 1 friggin class in the summer so I can graduate.

Ultimately this is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. There are plenty of checks at college to make sure this does not happen, but its not your advisers fault. They have plenty of other stuff to do without having to wipe your nose also. Alternatively you can petition to the administration to let you graduate shy of one credit. With compelling reasons they might let you do that.

Hunnibum 0

what else is the advisor supposed to do in their job of advising except for advise? if they aren't gonna do it right, then why pay them to advise?

Student's responsibility all the way. Welcome to the real world.

Hunnibum 0

then they shouldn't be paid to do something that is the student's responsibility.

lem0n_fml 0

They aren't exactly paid to advise. At my college, at least, advisors are professors and OFFER to take advisees under their wing. They volunteer. But if they aren't even going to do that job right, why volunteer at all?

Lazybastard50 0

YDI for not catching the screw up early. I had a class my advisor told me would count a for two different Gen. Ed. areas. She was wrong. I caught the problem myself while making another schedule and was able to fit in another class. By the way I could have taken bowling too, but I opted for scuba diving.