By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

elizacandle 29

get married anyway, it's your life.

You know, I have to say, I agree with your parents. I was tempted to marry my now-husband after we had been dating for only a year...but we held off. We ended up getting engaged a few years later when we were in our mid-20s. Now we've been together for 14 years and married for almost 10.. I'm glad we waited to get married. During our early 20s, we really did change a lot. We lived together, and there were two times that we almost broke up and only stayed together because we were willing to make large lifestyle compromises. There's a lot to know about a person that you can't learn in a single year of dating. Even after 14 years together, we can still surprise each other...but by the time we got married (and more importantly, by the time we had children), we had confirmed that we could live together, go through crisis situations together, share a small bathroom, travel together, deal with each other's families in a long-term kinda way...etc. I can understand your frustration, but I would most likely give my own children the same talk that your parents gave you. People do change and you are young and there's no reason to rush into marriage

how long you have known them is irrelevant. someone can ask a person to marry them the day they met and be married for their whole lives, but people who have known each other forever can get a diverse shortly after. only you and your partner can be the judge and make the decision if it's time.

lol thats shit, ts up to you two to decide whether youll stay together or not, they should give their bl3ssing. my firlfriend is 10 years older then me, weve been together for goong on 3 years, we have changed.. but not for the worse.. they shouldnt make that judgement

I met my husband when we were 18 and we got married at 20. Having just celebrated our seventh anniversary, and two kids later, we're still happy. Sometimes, you know what you want and what's best for you even if your parents disagree. You do you. If it's a mistake, it's your mistake to make.

gloriousarea 8

I've been with my bf for 5 years OP, hes 2 years younger than me, at the beginning mostly everyone opposed, but now mostly everyone has come around. just hang in there!

OP, I'm happy for you that you have met someone whom you are so in love with! It's wonderful that you are both so committed to each other while you are so young. While I do not think that the age of adults is something that precludes them from marriage, I do think life experience should be a big part of the decision. You said you are both still in school, and something you said (I can't find it again now, but it was in one of your comments) lead me to believe that you are not yet completely financially self-sufficient (which is absolutely understandable while you are young and working on bettering yourself for the future!) Marriage is definitely about love and wanting a future together, but it is also about practical, not so lovey-dovey things; like money, paperwork, careers, spending/saving habits. Have you experienced a major lifestyle change together? Have either of you fallen on a financial hardship? Do you still use terms like "my family" and "your family," or is it "our family"? What happens if you are both offered your dream job on opposite sides of the country? What happens if one if you can not find a job making a livable wage? Obviously, a couple doesn't need to go through all of these things to know if they are right for each other. A couple can coast through all of these dilemmas and still be wrong for each other. But someone who has been through enough of these types of hurdles with their partner will have a better understanding of the life they can expect through the thick and thin. I will tell you, my husband sucks with some of those issues I mentioned. He acts like a child, withdraws, and is bitter towards people who have nothing to do with the problem. But I still love him. I approached our wedding day with 4 years of history, and I knew that was part of the life I was starting with him. I also know that he always comes around and apologizes, and I know that I have some less than stellar qualities that he wouldn't mind seeing less often as well. These aren't things that we necessarily saw in each other in the first year. Even if we did, we may not have even realized at first how hurtful, frustrating, or whatever, those actions can be. It's much easier to be accepting of negativity when you see it a couple times. Anyway, this reply went on far longer than I intended it to you. Best of luck, whatever you guys decide to do! I hope you both, and all parents wind up happy :)