By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

I do think you could probably wait a bit longer... But I'd just straight up say that to you instead of making up some bullshit about a two year gap making all the difference and funneling that in your face. Do what you want, if they can't give you a proper reason then don't listen

Hey OP, firstly congratulations that you have met 'the one' so early in life, not everybody has it so lucky! I was lucky like that too...I met my boyfriend when we were both 18 and in college (we're 23 now) and I knew after about 6 months that he was the one for me (he told me he knew too). We don't want to get married straight away, even though we both graduated a year ago. We want to live together first and experience life and not have to worry about the expense of the wedding until we're really settled into life together and can plan it properly. It might not hurt to wait to get engaged, but maybe you could try and live with him for a while first, you'll be happy because moving in together is quite a commitment at our age, and your parents will be happy that you guys took their advice in waiting and getting to know each other a little better first. You don't need a ring or a piece of paper to prove the love and commitment between you, as long as you both tell each other and show each other all the time! If anything, doing this could make you guys even stronger, like it did for us! Best of luck in whatever you decide, OP :)

Coming from someone who married her best friend despite my parents doing everything in their power to stop it from happening, called all of us horrible things, made me cry my eyes out right before my wedding, refused to bless us, refused to give me away or be any part of my wedding, and lots of other horrible things, just marry the girl. If you know you want to spend the rest of your life with her than it doesn't matter what your parents say or do. It's totally and completely worth it!

I need to know your ages before I can vote. if you're really young that would make a difference. if you're like 30 then go for it

They really do. A year when you're 19 is nothing. I couldn't agree more with your parents.

xxWTFxx1981 23

I agree with your parents mostly because neither of you can yet support yourself; however getting married is easy enough and cheap enough just go to city hall lol

it would help to know how old you are. that would make a big difference.