By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

Love of your life but you've been dating for a year? Well, uh. Talk to your parents:)

I've known I want to marry my guy and he wants to marry me for the past 3.5/4 years. We're each still at home with our respective parents so we can have enough money to get our own place. We say that we are "engaged to be engaged"

The first scientific lab I ever worked in was run by a professor and his wife was the lab tech. They married when he was 21 and she was 19 and they've been happily married for 45 years. Relationships are different for everyone but I've found the one consistent thing is that you can never really figure out anyone else's relationship. But if you really love someone sometimes it's just immediately obvious. I'm 3 years younger than my fiancee (I'm 25, she's 28), and I got her a promise ring after dating 4 months and then we got engaged 6 months after that, so I was sort of in a similar situation. We're not married yet so I can't go and say "see it works out" or anything but I do feel really strongly that sometimes you just know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you've found the right person. I hope that eventually both of your parents come to realize that the love you have for each other is real, and I wish you both the best.

Not to throw cold water on you, but my "right person" was the alcoholic car thief I've mentioned in other comments. Which is why I'm firmly on Team Please Wait A Few More Years, OP! But it sounds like you and your fiancée are already solid on the waiting, so feel free to ignore me.

:/ That's really unfortunate, sorry you had to go through that. And yeah, sometimes you "just know" and you're wrong. It does happen...

Do whatever you think is right. If you feel the need to wait because of financial situations, then wait. Of course, it's all your choice. You don't need other people commenting about how their relationship failed because they were the same age as you and your boyfriend. Don't compare and learn from other failed/successful relationships. Do whatever you think is right. If you have the need to wait, then wait.

OP, something you might want to take into consideration. There are cultures around the world where the couple getting married either have barely met, or meet for the first time on the wedding day. These cultures all have low divorce rates, and high till death parts long term marriage rates. These marriages don't succeed on feelings, they succeed on hard work. Ask almost any couple you know that's been married for 40+ years, and they'll tell you a variation on one theme. There where good times, and bad times. You enjoy the good times, and work through the bad times, which then make the good times even better.

Depends on how you define succeed. Do you define a miserable marriage, an unfaithful marriage, or and abusive marriage as successful just because no one gets divorced? Because that happens a lot of those cultures you just mentioned, because divorce is terribly taboo, and sometimes even illegal. Just because people don't get divorced, doesn't mean they shouldn't.

orsombre_fml 11

My brother-in-law is 8 years younger than my sister. Next year, they'll celebrate their 20th anniversary. Be patient with your parents but stay determined. They are not fair to him or to you.

it doesn't matter how old you are a year really isnt long enough to justify marriage it takes longer than that to truelly know someone