By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

I initially thought FYL because I thought they were just judging you based on these difference. One year of dating means different things at different ages. However, reading your follow up, I have to agree with your parents. You are both still in school and don't have jobs. If you could support yourselves and feel that strongly about it, go for it. But when you need and expect one of your parents to pay for it? That is just ridiculous. You didn't even bother trying to work part time and save up for it, or get engages and work and save up for it and get married when you have it sorted yourselves. But just went ahead and asked them to pay for it? And when they disagree with your flawed thinking, you complain about it. Makes you both sound entitled, spoilt, and way too immature to be getting married.

AletheDefender 15

I mean, a year isn't a long time

No offense but both of yall are grown and paying your own bills I understand the wait until after college but once you guys do walk the stage and get jobs you can pretty much do whatever you want and there's not a dang thing either set of parents can do about it.

Like many of the other commenters on this post, it's pretty rare that I comment on FML's, but I felt the need to give my two cents on this one. I don't want to waste space telling my whole experience with getting married young, and I am fully aware that it is in no way typical. But I figure I can at least offer some advice, not just to OP, but to anyone who could use it. And that is to listen. Listen to the people around you. Your friends, your family. Now I'm not saying to let other people make your decisions for you. Far from it. But never let yourself think that you're too old or too smart for advice. Because it may save you years of trouble in the future.

devans00 14

You are both old enough to get married with or without parents' blessings. The fact that you think you need their permission shows that you're probably too immature to take on such a big life change.

Fortunately, the law doesn't require your parents blessing for a marriage unless you're under 18.

Am I the only one wondering why the OP is getting down voted so much? Follow ups are nice to read.

Your brain isn't done developing until 25, so take that into account before jumping into a life changing decision.

NotSoHappyMeal 1

Evidence also suggests that your brain develops in various ways throughout your entire lifespan... so I guess never get married.

Just wait your parents to grow older. Because obviously, people change as they age.