By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

please tell me you aren't going to let that stop you OP

While I agree a year is quick to get married, you could have a long engagement! What I'm more concerned about is that whether or not you're "allowed" to be engaged is based on someone else's thought, feelings, & opinions. Yes, I know to some people that really matters, but if your parents have that much influence in your adult life that you're willing to lose the "love of your life," I feel bad for your parents & wonder how they'll treat that personal since they know they have so much push over you. I'm speaking from experience... I was with someone who was way too hung on on what his mother said/thought & it really took a toll on our relationship. "Well my mom said I did the right thing..." "I'm going to get my mom..." "My mom said..." "My mom thinks..." I'm not saying you should run off & elope, but I will remind you that you're asking for your parents' blessing, not their permission ;)

Only 19-21 and dating just a year? Maybe wait another year or two guys mature slower

Well OP, I'll probably get down voted for this, buuuut... I don't think you're "too young" at all. I started dating my husband September of 2011. July of 2013 we were married. He was 18, I was 19. Two years later and still no issues. it's not about age at all. It's about maturity, and for you to agree that it's best for waiting until at least one of you have a job before taking more steps shows how muture you guys are.

preach!!! I just had my 2nd anniversary :) my hubby and I started dating, got engaged, got married, got prego all within 5 months. in that order lol. maturity has EVERYTHING to do with it! and living with someone is a huge change. idk why I said all this lol.

bad_boyfriend 10

Your parents are right. People change the most they will in their entire life from 20-26ish. That being said, you are adults, do what you want.

Finish college first please! Financial stability will only help the relationship and YOU, keep in mind that not all relationships last , but your college degree will! People change so much, my parents married after 1 year and they are now separated. Problems often arise in more than a year's time, tread carefully and good luck!

No one has the right to tell you how to live your life OP, not even your parents. They have a right to be concerned I will grant them that, (it never goes away, no matter how old you get) but you have to trust your gut and throw in like anyone else who enters a relationship or marriage. Whether or not you have their blessing or finish college is not going to change your relationship. There will be varying strains to be sure but that's anybody. I was 16 when I met my husband, I was engaged to him at 17, and married to him at 18. These are all things that even with love in my eyes I knew wasn't probably the best idea logically but love has VERY little to do with logic. I have been married to him for nearly 13 years now and we have 3 kids, his relatives have removed him from their will. He had to drop out of college because they raised his tuition too high for him to pay. Our older kids have medical issues that caused the state to take them for us for awhile so we could get their services started. Sound like a fairy tale? No, no relationship should be either, that's boring...but you know what? No blessing from parents and no college degree does not change that we wouldn't be with anyone else in the world. We have had to champion for each other, we have struggled and we have been knocked down. But he has always been there to help me back up and vice versa. This trait does NOT come with age, you either have it or you don't. If you and you significant other think that you found the right one then no amount of what ifs should or will be able to change that. But also, you don't have to be married for that either, if he's the one then he'll stand by you regardless of a little slip of paper (marriage license). So at this point what you really need to decide is how much hassle that little slip of paper is worth to you. If you're willing to give it time for your parents then hold off on it, and maybe they'l change their mind in time. (My husband actually moved in with me when we were teens because I'm medically fragile and my parents had to be out of state a LOT. So he volunteered to take care of me and behaved, thereby winning them over) But his parents never changed their mind, and they still hate my guts...it doesn't matter though. I married him, not them. Just some food for thought OP, I sincerely hope everything works out for you. Pretty much no one gets a fairy tale realistically, but we deserve our own little romance novel at least. ;)

It depends how old you two are. If you're 18 and he's 16, your parents might have a point.

mommy and daddy are right! seriously you have got to be dating for more than a year to get married. wow! dumbass

OP doesn't have to do anything. The fact that OP is confident in marrying this guy, the self-proclaimed "love of her life", should definitely have more pull on whether or not they should get married than how long they've known each other. It's about compatibility. While time can reveal whether one is compatible with another, it is definitely not the only, or most important, factor. One could meet someone, move in with them two weeks later, and have a long, happy marriage of 30+ years (as crazy as it may sound, I personally know someone who has done just that). If anyone is a "dumbass" in this situation, I would be lead to believe that it is you!

183: Wow! Judgemental. I know a couple (my aunt and uncle) who got married within a year of dating (at aged 19 and 20) and they're still happily married (now aged 60 and 61). I know another happy couple who got married within a year of KNOWING each other. I agree that it's really best to wait until you really know each other and know that you'll be able to spend the rest of your lives together but, hey, maybe OP does know. Who are we to make that decision for her? Or to call her a 'dumbass' because she wants to do something that'll make her happy?

I got engaged when I was 20 and my husband 19. His mom was less than pleased and tried to talk him out of marrying me. 18 years married now and going strong. Age is but a minor detail in my opinion. I know it doesn't always work for everyone, but we didn't need his moms blessing. She's now on her 3rd relationship in 18 years so clearly not taking relationship advice from her was a good plan.