By Jeezus - 16/02/2016 03:00 - Canada - Saint Albert

Today, after a week of waiting to hear something about my stolen car, I got a letter in the mail saying it had been impounded the same day I reported it stolen, but they don't share a database with the police so they never called. Now the impound wants $900 plus $120 for the tow to release it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 275
You deserved it 1 645

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As long as you can prove that you reported it stolen they shouldn't charge you

really sorry to hear about your luck, hope everything works out for ya

Comments

escortmechanic 6

They are required to report it impounded to the police before they leave the property with it. I would call the police.

I also live in Alberta and my car was stolen. If you bring the police report saying that it was stolen they should not charge you.

That's no different than a pawn shop holding stolen properry. They have to give it back.

I'm not sure it was stolen and then impounded from OPs statement. Could have been towed and they thought it was stolen...

Something similar happened to a friend of mine - he got to the lot, and they asked for more than the car was worth. He told them so, and walked out, saying that they could keep it.

Lol. Impound system not connected with the police. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That's cute. The impound lots and police are buddy buddy and give each other kickbacks. That's why specific towns contract out to specific tow yards so they can double extort you.

Go to the police and explain the situation. Or get a legal aid lawyer to help you out

bobsanction 18

Sue the impounders for stealing it.

$1020 dollars as towing charges?! That's how money a middle class family would earn as their monthly income in India.

Wait, India has a middle class? All I ever see is a huge lower class and a few upper class...

If you find your car missing, first assume it's towed away. I got my vehicle towed away last week.