By notimpressed - 26/04/2011 19:25 - United Kingdom

Today, a kid with severe Down's came into my workplace, as he does every day. He's has an obsession with me, sitting at a table, staring and taking photos of me all day. His parents have no problem with this, because they think it's a miracle that he can focus so much attention on me for so long. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 265
You deserved it 6 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

brookeec 0

Atleast he is progressing in life! You should feel honored! ;)

hubla 0

your turning his downs into ups

Comments

Even if the young man has Down syndrome, it's not an excuse to let his inappropriate behavior continue. If he is making the OP feel uncomfortable in her work place then the OP needs to inform her management about the issue, and if it does not get resolved OP may want to consult a lawyer and should confront the man's parents a second time. If the young man did not have Down syndrome and was doing this, it would still be just as inappropriate. And before you go thinking I'm being insensitive to people with disabilities I have family members with genetic disabilities, and I know how challenging they can be; but it does not mean they can do whatever they want.

waaah, he's staring at you and taking pictures cuz he thinks you're pretty. he has downs. suck it up. yfdi for thinking its something you should post about it on fml

how is it not an FML? The OP is put into an uncomfortable position at her job because the parents of this kid are not willing to tell him it is inappropriate behavior. If you want to treat people with special needs fairly, then you need to treat them like everyone else. It's still an FML because now not only is the OP uncomfortable at work but the people who should be directly responsible for this child's actions are not taking responsibility and she's going to have to take it to the next step; which will most likely mean legal action which will be embarrassing, expensive, and uncomfortable for everyone.

HellaFletcher 0

guys shes a girl 1 and how would you like it if i obssesivly took pictures of you every day then put them who knows where

lilcc86 0

call the cops. let them throw him in an institution if his parents arent controlling him

HCOstyles 0

It is really impressive my cousin has down and he has a hard time focusing on things

ok, I realize this is against the rules, but this kind of shit does not belong on FML

debraann 0

dude, talk to the kid. literally **** you for thinking that's weird. Ass holes like you need to learn how to talk with handicapped people.

Why should she talk to him? If she's at her job then she needs to be doing her job, not talking to a kid, and if she's not comfortable seing him or talking to him then she's in the right to want him to leave, not everyone wants or is prepared to deal with a mentally handicapped person.

cut him some slack, he has downs, and for the fact that you used the word severe. YDI. I really don't like how in your mind you're giving him a hard time because he probably likes you. Sure, there are girls that like me, and I don't like them back, but I don't give them a hard time. How would you like it if the situation was flipped? Put yourself in his shoes. Be nice about it to him. He's taking pictures... it's not like he's trying to kill you, so I don't know why you're making a big deal out of it. I work in a hospital, I get a lot of kids that do much worse then that. Every child is different, it honestly says a lot about you if you can't accept the fact that a kid likes you and is taking pictures. It's not like he's asked you out, and if he does, just politely decline if it makes you uncomfortable. However, for now, politely ask him to stop if it makes you feel uncomfortable, talk to his parents. All in all, you're being a real ass for acting the way you are about the situation when he's handicapped.

So what if he's handicapped? He is disturbing her at her job and her job is not to be nice to him or talk to him or encourage his behavior. She is within her right to ask the kid's parents to not bring him to her workplace anymore (and should've done that in the first place). The fact that he's handicapped is not a free pass to do whatever he pleases without considering other people.

Yes true, however, it's still not right to give a handicapped person a hard time, it's not like they chose to be handicapped. I did say to talk to his parents, did I not? I see handicapped kids at work all the time, I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of how to deal with them. It's everybody's job to be nice to one another, she isn't the only exception. She has no right to be mean to him, because he has the same right to be mean back if she chose to be mean to him. She has the right to ask him to leave, but none the less, he does have a right to be there. She can always get a different job. She shouldn't encourage his behavior, but she is because she hasn't talked to his parents. Since she's not handicapped, she should also know better, and his parents should know better then allow him to take pictures. How do you think the downs mind works? Do you think they could pick up the memo right away that he has to consider other people? Because non-handicapped people can. All in all, both parties should have been more responsible in their choices.

How has she been giving him a hard time? How has she been mean to him? And you can't always get a different job, it's not that simple. Yes, all the people involved in the situation should be more responsible.

Very correct. Given that i am PHYSICALLY disabled, doesn't make it ok for me to run over people with my chair at the drop of a hat or act like an ass when I choose. some parent didn't let some kid know not to touch the wheelchair im in. The kid was disabled mentally and I told him to stop...the parent screamed at me and i just said, given his situation, he should still be reprimanded for things like this. Im so inconsiderate...blah. its actually a sign of respect if you let someone know something is wrong regardless if they are or aren't disabled. It shows they understand they are a person who should know right from wrong. Oh well, welcome to Earth.