By Brittany - 23/12/2012 02:33 - United States

Today, a guy professed his love for me in front of my friends. The guy is my first cousin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 645
You deserved it 3 515

Same thing different taste

Top comments

StalkerChick 13

Please don't be from the South. We get enough crap about this...

I bet the family reunions get just a bit awkward after that eh?

Comments

Tell your first cousin that he is your cousin first, and then... will always be one.

I think he only gets thumbed down because English isn't his first language, and he's not the greatest at it.

Tell him how disgusting he is. Then tell your parents so be can be kept out of family gatherings. FYL.

ideasrule 13

So what? I proudly proclaim that I once had a crush on my first cousin. We live 10,000 km away, so there was no chance of a relationship, but I see nothing wrong with incest if it's a consensual agreement between free individuals. Of course, having babies is another matter. Inbreeding drastically increases the chance of birth defects and genetic disease because recessive alleles are much more likely to be expressed. That's why I think reproducing with a close relative is highly immoral.

Um, you have issues, maybe. I just hope you are posting sarcastically!

ideasrule 13

I am completely serious. Contrary to rumor, human sexual impulses don't automatically turn off when encountering a relative you barely know. Einstein, for example, married his cousin.

If you don't have a problem with incest then you need some serious help.

It's not unknown to marry and be with your cousin. It is actually practiced in many cultures. It is also not considered taboo as it is in American culture. Personally cousins is fine in my opinion. Anything after that is no.

It's not unknown to marry and be with your cousin. It is actually practiced in many cultures. It is also not considered taboo as it is in American culture. Personally cousins is fine in my opinion. Anything after that is no.

"I see nothing wrong with incest if it's a consensual agreement between free individuals." I couldn't have said it better. You're thumbed down by the majority of FML-users, but you'll probably know that the majority isn't always right.

LuckBeNimble 19

while I find the idea of relations with any relative creepy and weird (save for in the sense that we're all "related" -.-) I see your point. it's like that guy who'd never met his mother and then, you know...borked his mom. D:

Unplanned pregnancies can still happen if it's incest. So that doesn't really help your argument that it's 100% okay.

chickenflem 8

Marrying your cousin is not and should not be considered incest. You two have like 1/16 of the same DNA, this much can be found in any random person with your heritage. I personally know quite a few people who have married their cousin and one family for example has seven kids, not one has any physical mental or emotional disability. Intact they are absolutely beautiful. All this crap about defects on children of two cousins in not proven. Incest is marrying your siblings or parents not cousins.

winkydog4056 16

#75_Do you keep your gas mask on or take it off when you're wanking?

Yeah, the USA is the only Western nation where cousin romances are considered weird and wrong. Even here, it's only illegal in about half the states. For those who worry about babies being born with genetic defects, the chance of a baby being born with a birth defect to two first cousins as parents, is less than the chance of a baby being born with a birth defect if the people are unrelated but the father is over 40. I mean, we don't know the circumstances, so the person the OP is writing about could well have been doing something that would have been creepy even between two non-relatives. And the attention is plainly unwelcome, in any event, so FYL.

A coworker of my mum's is an albino. His parents are first cousins and they had 8 kids. Half of them are albino. I think that proves something about generic defects between first cousins.

chickenflem 8

I hope all of you who thumbed me down and others condoning cousins marrying are not acceptors of gay marriage. I you can accept two people of the same sex to get married, which is looked down upon everywhere except the US, but not two cousins getting married high is accepted very where except the US then something is truley wrong with the world. And thank you for correct my in fact. I realized I had it wrong a few minutes later but decided to leave it to the other spellers on FML.

Yes love is love. Yes having kids with a family member can cause fatal issues to the offspring... Yes this is true. But aren't we more civil nowadays? You could argue that they are are farther in the family tree but they are still family. It's like a brother falling in love with his sister...

15 that was just so perfect and summed up just about everything I wanted to say. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

The fact that several people here think incest is ok is ****** up.

I wish my friends had dramatic instances such as these to spectate on. I'd have liked to see this scenario play out in person

HeyHeyFishFillet 34

Hope your friends didn't know the relation!

Your profile picture= pure awesomeness

Tell him how uncomfortable he is making you and that you two will never be in a relationship. I find it very creepy that your cousin is in love with you.

If you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in the family.

Well, he was probably overwhelmed by the Christmas spirit... Just wait for his present, lol.

Undefined323 5

Have to love the lonely island quote

anzie_fml 9

40- B-but... You're a girl, so how could... that work...?

51 - Does that really need an explanation?

anzie_fml 9

53- I got the reference. That was just my lame attempt at making a funny. Meh.

The awkward moment when your cousin confesses his love for you.

fluffernut15 6

Your profile pic= pure awesomeness mnurfles

braja3249 4

One thing I never understood is how can people who accept gay marriage so openly see cousin love/marriage so backwards or disgusting. Isn't it the same principle of two consenting adults?

Undefined323 5

I'm sure the gay couple isn't related. If two cousins are in "love" they are too stupid to realize what is wrong with their relationship. Your just an ignorant homophobic who doesn't see the difference between incest and gay relationships.

Geometric 18

How do you know he's homophobic? He neither said anything that was for or against gay marriage. Also, what you just said sounds pretty similar to what an actual homophobe would say about gay couples. Listen, learn, accept, and get on with your life.

Undefined323 5

First, my best friends are gay. Second, there is a difference between from family being in love in a romantic way than in a two people of the say gender. Also I do have an aunt and uncle who are first cousins and married. I accept them and all but it would be odd for me to see my own blood in a romantic way.

Is heterophobe a word? Because if so it seems to fit 57 pretty well.