This is fine

By toosmall - 23/10/2016 21:27

Today, I got a $60 parking ticket for not paying the $2.50 pay-to-park fee. I checked my bank records, which proved that I'd paid the fee, for the correct space too. The problem is the fine is too small to contest in traffic court. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 868
You deserved it 913

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There should be a phone number that u may complain about the ticket, I'd probably try and call.

Show them the receipt you had for parking if you have it...that usually voids the ticket...

Comments

Just don't pay the ticket. Then they can take it to court if they feel the need to do it.

What a load of crap! The ticket may only be $2.50 but your fine was $60!!! That should warrant a large enough charge altogether to be able to go to court. Bloody court system.

You should still be able to contest it. My parents got a $20 parking ticket in the mail for my car, which had been in a different state at the time of the ticket being issued. All they had to do was call a number on the letter and explain the situation for it to be waived. They didn't even have to go to court.

You can probably contest it in small claims court if they won't void the ticket when shown the evidence.

debuono420 9

It's simple don't pay the fee which will result in a bigger fee and I'm sure that bigger fee will hold up in court! Gl op!

There should be number to call about the ticket. If not look at the officer's name that issued it and you can call the police department and ask to speak to him. Explaining the situation to him can help because he will be able to tell you exactly what to do

bloodyfreak_fml 4

You should be able to appeal it by sending in a paper appeal form and a copy of your bank statement. I just had to do that because the city's new meters are computerized and send you a text when time is running out so I added more time by texting back and it didn't register. I was able to appeal with the form and a screenshot. You don't have to go to court for parking tickets

Either go directly to the instances as proof, done that before.. Or just don't pay, make sure you lets them know why you are not paying and that you are not at fault). In some countries if you make your objections known from the start they are not allowed to add additional fines and penalties to you for not paying as they are only allowed as they are often only allowed to cover cost for extra work that needs to be done for collect the fine, but if you make it clear from the beginning that you do not accept those extra charges as you feel you are in your right. It basically leaves the other party with 2 options: drag you to court for $60,- or just dismiss it. (The later is most likely if you present any evidence that might prove you are in your right).

The seventh amendment gives the right to a jury trial for any civil case over property more than $20. What could $20 buy in 1789? Amendment VII In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.