The big con

By JustOutofCollegeAndBroke - 16/07/2015 06:56 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I agreed to help out with my boyfriend's sister's baby shower. They forgot to inform me that "helping" meant splitting the cost of everything. I now owe his family $275. I don't know how to back out without looking cheap. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 707
You deserved it 2 645

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Murilirum 23

It's not looking cheap if you didn't know it meant paying money. $275 is a fair chunk of change and not something you should just give out because someone else says you should. Also, why is a baby-shower requiring a collective acquiring of $275 per person?!

Just speak with the sister and explain that you misunderstood, and if you can't afford it explain why.

Comments

GingerRoot 13

I was asked to be in two weddings this summer. Can't afford the dresses for both and it was hard to say no. I feel your pain.

easy. tell them you're broke. you'd love to be at the party and help where you can, but anything that requires you to shell out any money, you can't do. if they're decent people they will understand your position and the position that they have put you in.

Who is having this baby? Just because you're kind enough to help throw the shower, doesn't mean any of the costs should be on you. My friends helped throw my very pricey baby shower - I paid for everything. My baby, my costs.

orsombre_fml 11

They should have told you precisely that they expected you to pay part of the shower and how much. It is obviously a setup. Helping means giving a hand, not paying for somebody else's expenses.

orsombre_fml 11

When my sister asks me to help paying for a gift, I am the one who decides which amount I give. OP, they should have asked you how much you could provide before spending so much money! I found their behavior rude and abusive.

Be honest and tell them that noone told you helping out meant spending money you don't have. If you're broke it's not being cheap, it's being broke.

Break up with you boyfriend, problem solved!

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY OP!!!! You owe them nothing. They are just wanting to find a way to pass off costs to someone else and you are the chump they have targeted. Explain that you were willing to help set up, and you never agreed to hand over any money. Also, have a good long think about whether or not you still want to date that boyfriend. If they are trying to fleece you for cash while you are just the girlfriend, how much more are they going to get you to pay for once you become "part of the family"?

Personally in your situation I would politely tell them to do one.

BooBooKittyF11 21

just say no helping means like help decorate or cook food not pay for stuff unless its a gift