The big con

By JustOutofCollegeAndBroke - 16/07/2015 06:56 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I agreed to help out with my boyfriend's sister's baby shower. They forgot to inform me that "helping" meant splitting the cost of everything. I now owe his family $275. I don't know how to back out without looking cheap. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 707
You deserved it 2 645

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Murilirum 23

It's not looking cheap if you didn't know it meant paying money. $275 is a fair chunk of change and not something you should just give out because someone else says you should. Also, why is a baby-shower requiring a collective acquiring of $275 per person?!

Just speak with the sister and explain that you misunderstood, and if you can't afford it explain why.

Comments

You aren't family, you don't have to pay.

What is your boyfriend saying about this? He should be appalled at his family's behavior and he should run interference for you!

You don't need to pay, you aren't family.

They are taking advantage of you. I think it's rude and tacky. I would just explain to the family that you are not in the position to pay $275 and you would love to help out by decorating or preparing food. What kind of baby shower are they having anyway? $275 is a lot of money!!

275$ is really a lot ... It was incredibly unfair of them to put you in this position, and whether you are a student or have a stable job, that is quite an amount. It's also huge for a participation in a baby shower, if they asked you they must have asked other people, which must make an incredible amount of money. They shouldn't force you to participate and when one asks someone for any kind of participation, it seems obvious to specify whether it is financial or just helping out with the preparations ... Sorry OP, hope you manage to back out !

cosmicdancer84 7

Excuse me but you're not married to this guy and she's not your sister in law. The people who should be covering the costs are her mother, aunts, best friend and grandmother. So his whole family just has to pay $275 but you have to pay that same amount on your own?? Your bf and his family are assholes. Dump him and save the cash.

the person in charge of all cost is the person who is initially throwing the baby shower. not someone who agrees to help prepare it.

I'm with you, 69. I'm in college and broke and a $20 gift doesn't seem like that much. And depending on how long you've been together and how close you are with his family... I would spend more than that for my boyfriend's sister (I am a girl by the way, I just chose a stupid name) :P I guess it ultimately comes down to what you can afford and how much the person means to you!

Nice to know you can spend $20 on shit you want. Many people have to make $20 last until the next week or next paycheck.

Oh **** that, this is their fault. Why the hell should you pay for a baby shower when she's neither your family nor a close friend (I'm assuming)? That's pure money-grubbing bullshit.