Thanks for nothing

By Downinthedumps - 14/08/2016 22:44 - United States - Flagstaff

Today, at my hotel, I spent over an hour dumpster diving trying to locate a pair of shorts for a spoiled brat that one of the cleaning staff accidentally threw away. When I finally found and returned them to the family, the father insisted they weren't the right ones. Spent all day smelling of trash. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 373
You deserved it 1 125

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So, let me get this straight: the cleaning staff threw out this kid's shorts, which sucks, but I guess accidents happen? I can't really picture how one can "accidentally" throw out something as large as a pair of shorts, but whatever. The kid, understandably, wants their shorts back. Somehow, this makes them a spoiled brat? It sucks that you have to fix someone else's mistake, but I don't see why the kid or the Dad are the villians here.

Surely you could have asked your boss if you could have showered? Logically if you're gross and smell you aren't making a good impression for the hotel...

Comments

Surely you could have asked your boss if you could have showered? Logically if you're gross and smell you aren't making a good impression for the hotel...

Hopefully at the end of your stay they'll give you a nice tip for being so helpful!! That sucks though.

How many pairs of little girls' shorts wind up in that dumpster?

that was a really trashy thing for the father to do

ham814 8

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

So, let me get this straight: the cleaning staff threw out this kid's shorts, which sucks, but I guess accidents happen? I can't really picture how one can "accidentally" throw out something as large as a pair of shorts, but whatever. The kid, understandably, wants their shorts back. Somehow, this makes them a spoiled brat? It sucks that you have to fix someone else's mistake, but I don't see why the kid or the Dad are the villians here.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
deathstroke990 22

they're his shorts? he's allowed to want them back after someone threw them out

MikaykayUnicorn 36

They're a spoiled brat because OP doesn't like what they had to do. You've never called someone a name when they didn't deserve it because something they wanted/needed caused you to have to do something undesirable, or just called someone a name for something they didn't deserve in general? You do it because you're mad. You know they aren't REALLY whatever name you called them, but you're pissed, so for that moment, you call them a name. You know the OP doesn't really think the person is spoiled for wanting their possessions back, it's just a heat of the moment thing.

I applaud you for excellent customer service. The employee that threw away the shorts should have been the one to retrieve them-not you. In addition, because you were serving the customer on behalf of the hotel, you should have been allowed to go home to shower and change, on the clock.

neuronerd 28

I mean, if cleaning staff threw away my clothes, I'd be upset too, so I don't think that makes her a spoiled brat for wanting something done about it. However, I'd be much more inclined to ask for financial compensation to replace the article of clothing, rather than want something back that's been in a dumpster.

Well you never know who those shorts could have belonged to or what special meaning it had. Say if the grandpa bought it for his birthday or something and then his grandpa died, those shorts would have meaning to the kid. It's most likely just a pair of shorts, but then again we don't know. I would be upset if someone threw out my items and I was staying at their hotel. Aren't they supposed to avoid touching things that don't belong to the hotel and just clean the room?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

If I'm paying for a room at a hotel and they go in and throw away something that belongs to me, I'm absolutely going to want it back, get monetary compensation for it, and/or be heavily discounted on my hotel bill. Sure, it was just a pair of probably $20 shorts, but it could have just as easily been something more expensive.